Well,
sadly I (the procrastinate queen)
have just started reading the summer homework, and I'm only on the second chapter.
boo for me.
I will have to say that I agree completely with Mr. Postman that in fact we are, as he so eloquently put it, "Amusing ourselves to death."
With the way TV has burped us, cuddles us, amused us, and hid us from the world that surrounds us, its a surprise that few of us has even wanted to turn off the TV, pick up a book and read it.
Although TV is...well...tv, it has given us very few commercials on reading more than watching TV, and/or going out to play, but right after those commercials a new exciting movie preview comes on.
And Oho do we watch that preview in awe, suddenly forgetting about that most wanted play time, or that unread book that we got from the library.
Basically TV is hypocritical.
There are many different things to do it just confuses the young minds.
"'Read a book' 'Watch this new TV show' 'Go out side and play' 'The new Hannah Montana episode' 'Verb...its what you do'"
Its a surprise that children don't become schizophrenic.
Its also a surprise that all teenagers aren't anorexic or bulimic
"'Big is beautiful' 'She wore an itzy bitzy yellow polka dot bikini' 'Love the skin your in'"...its just plain confusing.
I feel that TV isn't the only one to blame.
Many books contain, not mixed messages, it just leaves people out.
Like only the tall skinny girls with long hair can have fun.
Only smart people with a doctorate degree can read this book.
Only African Americans can read this book.
Though there are a lot of books that don't say nor feel that way.
I say that the best way to become an all around person is to try and do things you've never done.
Instead of being a couch potato, go outside and take a walk to the park.
Instead of being curled up with a book all the time, go and meet some new people.
I'm not saying to go out and have fun all the time, but there is plenty of things to do in the world
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I get you you mean, but there's also a difference. Like the 'love your skin thing',and the 'yellow bikini'.
people have to know that HEALTHY and SKINNY aren't always the same.You can be ANOREXIC OR BULIMIC and of course thats NOT anywhere near HEALTHY,but you can be "BIG"(as to say)and still be beautiful.I think its the image that you let out or what you think you appear as. sure the TV or magazines influence what people think and have to look like, but it also has to do with yourself.and thats what's important. Right? Also i agree with you by saying that the world is filled will stuff to do. If your bored, go ride a bike or read a book. It doesn't matter what you do your still helping your body.TV does send mixed messages and so does books,but i think it's up to the person to interpret those messages and figure out which ones apply to them.
Television is overrated, but as we all know, it is hard to live without. Now all people mostly talk about is, " Hey did you catch that show last night?" or "Hey could you believed so and so..." TV is also addicting as Erin said especially when a good show is on our a good movie you have not seen yet. Lately I have not been watching a lot of tv becuase I have other important things to do, but when I am really bored and have nothing to do, of course I will watch tv becuase i have nothing else I want or can do. Television ads are getting worse and worse. Yes there are funny ones, some are just a waste of money and a lot are sending a lot of wrong messages to kids or kids are taking their message a different prospective from what they are really trying to say.
-Alex Martin
Alex,
I'm very glad that you agree with my post on the fact that people are hooked on tv. When you wrote that tv is the most that people talk about, and how we are dependent on what happened on a tv show, I couldn't help but think that that is just how we work, meaning gossip. We thrive on other humans and their love, respect, and friendship.
I just wanted to talk about that fact.
Post a Comment