Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Mescal or Old Timers?

During all of chapter 14 in Brave New World, Linda, John's mother, was in the Park Lane Hospital for the Dying. She falls asleep on John on and off while he is there with her. Towards the middle of the chapter, Linda speaks and calls her son, Pope. "But Linda! Don't you know me?" (185) She then calls him Pope again. John gets so furious with her that he grabs hold of her shoulders and shakes her. After he shakes her, Linda finally recognizes John and calls him by his name. I am trying to figure out why she is forgetting her own sons name. Do you think it is old timers? Or maybe the mescal or soma? I am confused on why she is acting like this.
I kinda agree with Johns actions, but I mostly do not agree with his actions. I would also be hurt if your own mother forgot your name, wouldn't you? I think the reason she is acting like this has to be all the mescal she has had and it is now all of a sudden catching up with her. Now that his mother died, I do not know what John is going to do or how he is going to react.

-Alex Martin

1 comment:

ray said...

If I were in John's situation I would be furious also. I can't ever imagine my mother not knowing who I am. But even in today's society there are cases of Alzheimer's everywhere. I think that after taking such large amounts of soma doses, it's paying it's tool. She basically ODed. Also. i think what really set John off were the twins acting the way they died. Making fun of Linda and asking questions that were insulting.