Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I thought it's what is on the inside that counts?

I reread chapter one of Postman's Amusing Ourselves To Death, because it sparked a memory in my mind. A few weeks ago, I was invited to go with my friends to the Jonas Brothers' 3D movie taping at the Honda Center. There was hundreds of girls primped and ready to see their awaited "husband's to be." We were taken to the fourth level of the arena to wait for further instructions. The room was filled high hopes and huge amounts of estrogen as the girls were praying they were chosen to be in front of the stage during the extra taping the boys had to do. A woman who worked with the producer of the movie was "randomly" picking girls out from the crowd and assembling them in front of the elevator near me. I curiously looked at the girls that were chosen and noticed a pattern, they all had "the look," none of them seemed to have one flaw. The mom that was chauffeuring us around that day questioned the woman and her reply was that she was picking girls at random. This got me thinking, has the media already brainwashed people's minds so that even in random picks the perfect people are the ones chosen? I got into conversations with the girls around me, whom I just met that day, and we were talking about this topic. We realized that those "perfect" girls that were chosen were probably going to be on the big screen the most, I mean, who really wants to see the different types of fans the Jonas Brothers have (hint the sarcasm)? Sure, for a lot of things, looks do matter a little, at least take care of yourself, but when you are showing support for something, looks shouldn't matter one bit.

3 comments:

Daniel Román said...

I see the point that Jessica makes, and I believe it’s true. Society’s mindset of choosing has gone to pick what looks better. We have become superficial, let us say, there are two pens, one is missing a cap, we automatically go to the one with the cap, even though their function is write. Another point that comes to is who is to blame for the selling of image, is it TV or is it to fall on us? After all we are the ones who give the ratings. We are the one who watch a TV show because of the cute girls, or for the girls, the cute guys. As to the other point that Jessica made about why would looks matter, if you’re supporting, my view is the same as the topic, IMAGE sells.

Joshua Oronce said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joshua Oronce said...

I agree also. Like when Postman wrote that today, only certain people could run for president. Like that they couldn't be fat or balding or etc. Elections have slowly become more and more towards appearance, I think right now more than ever.

Even if it's a joke or not, I find it a serious issue when people(mostly girls) say they're going to vote for Obama because he's "cute." I mean like really? So you're gonna appoint some guy the head of our country becuase he's cute? They know nothing else about his stand on things or what his plans or proposals are.

Sure some of these girls are young and aren't even old enough to vote, but later on, when they're older, will what affects their voting choices actually change? People today are voting for just whoever their friends are voting for, or whoever their favorite actors or singers are voting for.

Hearing that stuff just really makes me really wonder what will happen to society in the future.