When I first started reading Amusing Ourselves to Death Public Discourse in the Age of Show Business by Neil Postman I was really interested. Postman had a brilliant point of view in this book. Everything he said about the media as an epistemology (chapter 2) evolving into an everyday experience for modern day scociety is true. Though Postman's ideas and observations are seemingly accurate he repeats his same idea throughout the book. I started to lose interest because of how repetitive the book was becoming. All Postman is doing, so far in the book I've read, is telling the reader the same thing just using different words and dates. Though I have not finished the book yet I plan on doing so soon.
Michael Morales
Wednesday, July 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I really hope you do finish the book: it is a very good source of information, Postman makes clear and consistent arguments, and it is part of your summer assignment (kind of). Anyways, try not to let the repetitive aspect get to you; Postman knows what he's doing here. Just let him take you along for the ride. I promise it will be worth it.
But go ahead and argue with him, by all means. Make your argument substantial and take all of his work and writing into account.
Oh, and by the way: take into account your boredom with the book. Postman does.
Although I respect your opinion on the book.. I think it is funny you say that because I believe that what you're trying to say is part of what Postman is convey.
People have too much to do these
days from the abundance of television, internet, video games, and overall pop culture, often they don't see it to be in their interest if they don't find a task to be "funny" or "entertaining" or anything of that sense. They have too many distractions to really look into things and see if they really do matter.
I think the book was assigned for not only the purpose inform us, but also to make us rethink and analyze a little more of what surrounds us.
Call it nerdy or what not, but i find the the entertainment comes from now being able to look at a show, an ad, or just the world in general and thinking in myself and silently chuckling, "I know what they're really up to..."
I agree with Trisha when she says,”[people] don't see it to be in their interest if they don't find a task to be ‘funny’ or ‘entertaining’ or anything of that sense.” Our society is so entertainment-centered that it makes our attention spans so low that we end up losing interest much quicker. If the book was on, say, magic tricks or something of that nature, people would be much more interested; with that said, most people wouldn’t, on their own time, sit down and read a book on how television and other sources of media have altered our perspective on life.
I also agree with Michael when he says that the book is a little repetitive. I also noticed this, however, the repetition is partially redundant, but I believe that Postman is really just trying to drill these ideas into our heads and makes us realize what our society is coming to.
I agree with Michael on the repetitiveness of the book, however I believe Postman is doing this simply to get his point across. The book may seem a little boring, but Postman really isn't attempting to entertain you. By expressing your lack of interest in the book Postman has already proved his point.
I also agree with Jacob, maybe if the book was on a something more appealing to the people they'd be more interested. Maybe a little celebrity news or some sex, drugs, and violence? I'm sure that would appeal to them. Exactly Postman's point.
I agree with everything you have to say. The story did start off interesting, but quickly became repetitive within the next few chapters, but sorry to say.. it's like that throughout the rest of the novel. Most likely, it's because he wants to plant the fact in the readers mind that media is in a way ruining society.. stick in there, it'll be over soon!
I hope you finish the book sooner than later, summer due date is almost here!
Post a Comment