Saturday, July 19, 2008

S-E-X

Sex.

My first question: When you see that word, what do you think of? Do you think of love? Fun? Regret? Mistakes? Do you feel embarrassed? Or indifferent? Please, first answer me this question. Though, be courteous of other people when replying to this.

The reason I bring up this certain three letter word is because it's basically everywhere. It's in movies, television programs, books, games and others. But why? Is it because people like to hear or read about it?

Many magazines offer advise for having great intercourse and anytime I read one of those articles, I keep asking myself: Why are people so interested?

I'm seriously curious.

Then I thought that maybe since it is in movies, magazines, books and games, then that means that sex has become part of daily life. Of course, maybe not the act of it, but the thought of it as well. Sex isn't just part of life though, it is life.

This brings me back to Brave New World. In that book, people are synthetically made. So, then sex isn't life. Just part of it, since everyone is encouraged to have it. This is my final question: If sex isn't life but part of it, then why is it that the people Brave New World have so much of it and even encourage it at young ages? Do they think of it as a pass-time or a sport? And if sex is how people naturally make children, then why is it that the people in that society still participate in these acts? Do all of them know the origins of sex? Or is the truth being hidden from them (which brings me back to an earlier post I made on the blog about ignorance)?

10 comments:

Tlaloc Vasquez said...

The reason everyone seems to be obsessed with sex is because it is programed in the reptilian part of the human brain. The reptilian brain (also known as the reptilian brain) is the oldest part of the human brain, similar to the brain possessed by the ancient reptiles that preceded mammals almost 200 million years ago, hence the "reptilian" title.

This is important because the reptilian brain is in charge of vital life functions which include: breathing, heart rate, fight or flight response, and everyone's favorite--sex.

Simply speaking, sex is human nature. The people of Brave
New World
could not stop having sex any more than they could stop breathing.

Anonymous said...

I was watching 20/20 last night and they were kind of talking about the same thing. Sex is in tv shows, magazines, books,and movies. I realized that it sex is a big part of the media and when I saw this I wanted to comment on it. I agree with Tlaloc on the issue of sex being a part of human nature. Although I didn't know that we have a repitlan brain, Sex is kind of encoded in our brains. We actually need sex in our lifes, but that's not what I really wanted to say. I think that because the New World didn't have God or bibles, they thought that young children engaging in sexual activity was not a sin. In the Old World, God made having sex before your married a sin. Since no one was there to force that rule or "law", The New world citizens didn't really think is was a big deal.

amartin said...

To answer your first question Louie, I think people feel love, fun, and sometimes regret. It truly is everywhere now and is going into everyones thoughts more and more. I don't understand why people offer advice about sex because everyone has different feelings and/or different arouses. I agree with you also Louie that it has become a part of everyones life. It is weird in Brave New World because they do some type of ritual or something before having sex and I am guessing that prevents them from getting pregnant. That ritual is like a condom, I guess you can say. I do not know the answer to your last question, but that is a very good question.

-Alex Martin

Matt Manabat said...

Sex is encouraged because it feels good. Through the early conditioning and the utilization of contraceptive measures it is possible to remove all of the stigmas, dangers, and guilt our society associates with "getting around" freely leaving the pure pleasure of the sensation. That and eating are the two biggest triggers for the release of the dopamine that causes the sensation we've labeled happiness, and as long as the people are kept happy they aren't going to spend a lot of time asking questions.

John Poli said...

Sex is everywhere. In books, movies, T.V shows and in life itself. It's embedded in everyone's brain and it is life, so to speak. It creates life. When I think of it I think of love but its views are different within many different people. For people it could mean family, regrets, or good times.

In Brave New World, the people use it just for pure enjoyment and good times. It is not for reproduction or family. They are simply not made for that anymore. Sex is just there for their childish enjoyment. People sleep with different people in Brave New World just for their own enjoyment, nothing more. Just as Electro-magnetic golf is there for them to enjoy that is what sex is there for.

Michelle Davis said...

Your right. Sex is everywhere and we are presented with it at a young age. When i was as young as five, i didn't know what sex was. I had vever even heard of the word. But my six year old cousin and many others like him today, are already fully aware of sex and what it is, just like the children in Brave New World. When I Love Lucy was still new on tv, her and her husband slept in twin bed because even the slightest hint of sex was prohibited. But today, people actually having sex is available for anyone who wants to see, right on your tv! Its become just whatever. When you hear your friend talk about having sex with her boyfriend, you don't really think twice about it because its become part of life and just something you do. Not everyone agrees with it, but it is in our society, and its EVERYWHERE. In Brave New World, its become even more natural and everyone does it. It is taught in school, its something you do in school, and as an adult, you have fun with it and move on. Its interesting how that is, but maybe the author is trying to prepare us for what may become a reality in our society. (Doubtful, but possible.)

Danielle Luciano said...

Sex is all those things sometimes but because we have been so exposed to it I am not at the least bit embarrassed by the word. Sex is something that has been taboo for a very long time but as we modernized, morals seem to have waned a bit or changed, making sex an open topic for conversation. I admit that i read those odd sex articles same reason you do; curiosity.

In Brave New World, sex is a past time, something to keep them entertained and happy. All they know about sex is that it feels good and that they are supposed to have it.

johnnyfajardo said...

There was a time on this planet when there was one and only one reason for sex: to have children. Nowadays, the idea of sex brings up much more than simply producing offspring. As Louie stated, the media has altered the concept of sex into one of everyday life through movies, magazines, books, etc, as proven in the book "Amusing Ourselves to Death". I somewhat agree with Tlaloc in that sex is human nature. I also believe that humans gain their sexuality as they grow rather than born with a natural instinct for it. This idea has been stated by Sigmund Freud in his concept of psychosexual analysis. In the society portrayed in the novel Brave New World, all of these factors combine to prove one point: sex in the civilization depicted in Brave New World is extremely important as well as inevitable.

mmadrigal said...

When I hear the word "sex", I start thinking about it in all the ways you mentioned.

Sex is a natural thing, everyone as soon as they reach puberty is drawn to it because of hormones.
No one should be offended by the thoughts they get the moment they hear the word. The only problem is that all media makes it up to be some amazing thing that everyone should be doing because it's "cool". But in reality, they make it seem "cool" because they know everyone's thinking about it and if they talk about it and give tips (magazines esspecially) it sells.

I haven't read Brave New World yet, but Huxley probably brought it up because sex is something all people think about almost as our[human's] very own "animal instinct", and if they thought about it as much as they did at the time he wrote the book, the future must be twice as bad.

Daniel Román said...

I believe the main reason sex, is embedded into our life is because sex is equal to pleasure, and pleasure is equal to good. That is why I believe much advertisement use it to sell their products. In a brave new world sex is seen as a past time, leisure. the people in a brave new world use sex as a time to relax, they know its origin and what its purpose was but the repeated use of contraceptives have made is possible for them to be accept sex in their daily lives. would you agree with me?