Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Without a Sad There is No Happy

In Brave New World, Huxley writes that everyone in this Orwellian world is happy. That people are conditioned to act and feel a certain way from conception. They are programmed to feel no pain or sorrow because they are conditioned not to. All people are conditioned into liking what they do, regardless of their caste level. They engage in activities which give biological pleasure to their body like drugs and sex. People are born into a system which they are conditionally brought into liking their way of life and accepting other people's ways. No one questions others. If one does feel anything troubling, that individual is given a drug designed to make them forget a troubling encounter.
We have all experienced difficulties and pain in our lives, whether it is a loss, hardship or heartbreak. Would it be nice if we could just take a magic pill and make it all go away? What can possibly be wrong with a world in which everybody is happy? If we can make ourselves just feel content and never suffer desperation, why not just do that? Personally, I think our society already has its own version of soma. Movies, TV, CD’s, videos, DVD’s, computer games could all be the equivalent. They all allow an individual to escape, and we buy these things for our pleasure and enjoyment. However, I feel that with out losses, hardships or heartbreaks, we as human beings would not really know the significance of happiness. For happiness is mixed with love. Everyone wants to be loved and be able to experience it, but to be rid of unpleasant feelings that are important for development makes me question these people’s happiness. Could they really be experiencing happiness, and to what level? Who determines their level of happiness? I feel that with out love, happiness is FAKE.

5 comments:

tashiana said...

I disagree with your argument that technology is the equivalent to soma in our society. Yes, technology is a major distraction, but it is not like soma. While we use technology, we can still feel physical and emotional pain. The most technology can do is help us not to think about our pain. However, soma completely erases the pain. I would say the only things in modern society equivalent to soma are things like morphine or illegal narcotics.

I agree with your idea that, without sadness, no one knows the significance of happiness. The people in Brave New World don't feel happy, because they're too busy using soma to ever think about how they're feeling. They don't experience any normal human feelings, reflect on their lives, or create their own ambitions. They just live, so even if they are "happy", it's useless, because they don't know the difference between happiness and sadness.

Griselda said...

I agree with monica's comment about fake happiness. The soma is a drug that triggers brain waves and nerves and all that other fun stuff that I am not to familiar with, to produce a feeling of happiness/euphoria. It could be similar to an antidepressant in the way that it boosts the serotonin in the brain to gain relief and feel happier. Their happiness isn't real. It's created by a little drug that brainwashes them. They are lost in the addiction, slaves that bend to the will of the soma.

Anonymous said...

I think that the citizevs in Brave New World do feel happiness. There happiness is like fake leather. The look happy but they really are not. I agree with Griselda about the soma. It brainwashes them. The soma is keeping the true reality away from the citizens.

Anonymous said...

Response to Tashiana:

I understand your point of view of soma. Technology is a major distraction, and it is not like soma. Fortunately for us, our society does not have anything that is truly equivalent to soma. Illegal narcotics may allow temporary escape from pain, but the after effects are always terrible for the individual and society. Like you said, we can still feel physical and emotional pain; however, there is a way to escape, (such as a movie, even if it is just for a couple hours). There is a way to absorb and relax, yet I agree that it is not the same as soma. In the society Huxley describes, the use of soma is sustained and welcomed by society. Although the escape offered by technology such as movies, TV, and CD�s is not as complete as narcotics, the use can be sustained and it is welcomed by society. It is important that we don�t let an overuse of technology interfere with our true feelings.

Daniel Román said...

Monica, has an interesting point. We may say, "oh I don’t do drugs," but the reality is that a drug doesn't have to come in a capsule. it can be anything whether it is TV or a game, anything that alters our thinking. we often use these as an escape from reality to a world of no pain or where we are in a different world. you can see this on the internet, when there are people who say or write thing that are not even a part of them. I also agree, with her thoughts on happiness, love has to be a part of it, if not it is fake, a joke, or a figment of our imagination. I wonder about the title, if this also is true, would we know of bliss, if there were no sorrow?