Monday, July 21, 2008

I'll have what he's having!

Once i started reading the book, Brave New World , I started to ponder what was happening, and when I started reading deeper into it, I learned the ridiculous fact that everyone was suppose to share everyone. It seemed barbaric to me, because, at my generation now, i'm use to the idea of mothers and fathers, and what it's like to fall in love and what not. But in BNW, it was a whole different story. I guess it's alright to fulfill your desire before it takes you over and make you do something stupid and dangerous, but what's the point if there's no compassion? no intamacy? They don't get to feel the accomplishment of raising children or have a proud moment with them, instead they just have sex and move on with their lives. It's like having a big piece of your life being ripped apart from being an actual human being. Just the fact that they don't fall in love, get married, and have many sex partners, drives me insane, but I guess these things may have some flaws. Is our world starting to drift towards this type of world? I mean come on, people these days are making love left and right, so it's like kinda a step towards it, not a huge step, but a tiny small one.

5 comments:

Louie Ramos said...

I'm sorry to say but I disagree...well, at least with part of what you are saying.

I disagree with the idea of love in order to live life to its fullest. Love, believe it or not, is still a developing concept. It wasn't until about the late 1500's that the idea of love was fully recognized (I believe this is because of William Shakespeare). So, comparing half a millennium to the beginning of humans, is a large fraction.

I'm starting to believe that love is a fad. A long-running fad. Sometimes, I even wonder if in another century or so, people will forget about love and go back to how it was before it.

Before love, people still raised children and lived their lives.
I agree with you when you say what's sex if you can't or don't wish to reproduce. That's the main importance of intercourse: to make children.

I think our world is drifting towards that type of world. A world of no love, but only pleasure.

Unknown said...

When a mother protects her child, it’s just a fad? When a parent says they’ll take a bullet for their child, it’s just a fad? Out of love for fellow human beings, when a person commits an act of altruism, it’s just a fad?

Love wasn’t established by Shakespeare. Shakespeare created great works because love exists. Hunger, thirst, and love are seen as drives of mammals in biological sense. In fact, the area of the brain where love creates activity is where hunger and thirst create activity. Oh, and drugs, too. Later on, this activity affects different areas of the brain, for long term commitment.

You seem to think love is only that little feeling you get when you like somebody. Love is not some “fad”. In fact, although it is a trivial subject, scientists perceive that animals may feel basic emotions…and perhaps love. It is up to the person doing the judging, of course.


Because our brains reaction to love is similar to drugs, it has been said that without love, humanity would die. Think about it, no love for one another? Who’s to say that murder won’t escalate? Parents can have children, and beat them every day. A husband makes a mistake, he’s out. Forgiveness won’t be so common. Reading something in a book does not necessarily mean we’ll understand the future. When we begin to lose basic emotions, who’s to say BNW is correct? It’s not authority on the subject, I don’ think Huxley wanted us to reach that conclusion.


I disagree with your comment on our world becoming less loving. I do want to know why you think that. Is there a statistic that states we love less each year? Have studies shown that the emotion of love is slowly diminishing?

Love isn't some concept that was created in the 1500's. That's like saying HATE was some concept. Or anger was some concept.

blessing odudu said...

I'm quite surprised that you're disgusted by the way the people in the BNW live their sex live. It's the same thing that's happening in our world today. Sure , they don't know what love is but do we? We really don't.

Love is love, sex is sex but these days the two work hand in hand. People get married thinking they know what love is (which they don't ) that why they end up getting divorced.

Where do you think the idea of boyfriend, girlfreind came from? It's all the same thing. The step we have taken is not a "tiny small one" it's a GIANT one. We think these kind of things will get better but instead they are getting worse. I won't be surprised if our world actually ends up like the BNW.

Diamond Huffman said...

Yes, I myself was confused when I started reading BNW but as
I started reading more of it I begin to grasp a better understanding of the processes that were taking place.

As far as the sex issue goes, I feel as though its a part of life but at the same time you dont HAVE to participate in it in order to be able too live life to the fullest.

The generation that we live in the word LOVE doesnt even have its sentimental value anymore, its basically just a four letter word (IN MOST CASES).

Louie Ramos said...

Ok, Sergio. I see what you're saying. And I must admit that I confused love with something else...

Maybe, I confused it with the way people try to find love. I have an example, but I cannot say it without there being too much controversy.

Or, I must of forgotten free will. I thought that since there was no choice in who someone got to marry a long time ago (due to arranged marriages), there was no love.

Yes, when I wrote that last comment, I did think about the love for a family member or the love for a hobby or job or something else. But I realize now that this is what was going through my head when I wrote it:

No free will = No Love