[ ]If you think about it, television is almost a form of mind control or a drug. It already influences our whole way of life. It tells us what clothes to buy, where to buy them, and how to where them. That video game you were playing or that movie you were watching was probably first seen on a commercial. We are starting spend all of our time in front of the television on our own "holidays".
[ ] Person 1: Did you do yesterday's homework?
Person 2: I completely forgot to do the homework.
Person 1: So did I, but I saw that new episode of the Real World!
Person 2: I saw it too. I couldn't believe what happened!
How many times have we or our friends participated in this type of commentary? I personally have witnessed this alot.
[ ] So far I think that television pretty much controls us, and although most of us know it, we're not going to stop watching. We can try but, I can't see it happening. When was the last time you had access to a television but decided not to turn it on for a whole week? After reading Postman or BNW, how many of us turned the television on immediately after putting the book down? Who had the t.v. on while reading. When you think of these questions, think of how hard it would be to stop watching t.v. or at least reduce the amount of t.v. we watch. I have read many or your posts. Many of us are saying that television is making us dumber. So why do we still sit in front of the television and let it control us? Let me know your thoughts on the subject.
Monday, July 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
I think the reason that people still sit in front of the TV and let it control us is because that is how some people have learned how to relax and maybe...some people are just not satisfied with their lives and they would rather pretend that their lives were some sort of television series.
However, I feel that this can be avoided because instead of turning the television on, one can just open a book.
Television and books are my ways to escape from life and to relax. I may let both control my life and the reason that I let it control my life is because sometimes the people on TV and in the pages of the book deal with their issues better than I would have imagined. Also, one may be able to learn from how they deal with their problems. That is how I sometimes deal or would like to deal with my problems either with the advice of my family/friends or from characters in a book or a TV show. I must say, it can be effective or it will give a person their own idea on how to deal with their problems.
Like my mother tells me every day: "television is the devil!" I feel that modern television has degraded today's society and has taken over America's culture. I do agree with Kristine in that the option of opening a book rather than turning the TV on is always available. Many people of today's society are becoming aware of the fact that television is corrupting minds. It is also destroying the values and need for other truly important forms of conveying information such as books. This is why in some households, including mine, television is monitored and sometimes even prohibited. It is truly brainwashing the world, but those who can prevent it are doing what they can.
There are lots of negative effects in watching television. I agree that it somehow corrupts our minds. It may even dictate are actions or how we balance our time. Instead of doing stuff that are more important, we'd rather stay in front of the television and watch cartoons or something. I myself do this a lot. It is hard not to turn on the television especially when I'm bored.
On the other hand, however, we also learn a lot of important information in watching television. We learn about the things that are happening around us through the news. It also aids us when we feel bored or tired from doing chores. It is also a way for adults to relax after a hard day's work.
I absolutely agree with this thought. I am ashamed to admit it, but I do fall into the category of those who watch television excessively. It has taken over many lives for the worse. So much time has been wasted away just watching television when it could’ve been used for many more tasks that are worthwhile. It does have brain washing effects on most viewers because everything shown looks so appealing. An easy fix: turn off those televisions. Sadly, it is no longer possible due to such strong attachments. The relaxation it brings is so tempting, it can not be denied.
The media has been aware of this corruption and those who actually care are doing their best to prevent any further damage. They try to achieve this by creating more educational television shows instead of pointless cartoons. The corruption is much too grave for it to be reversed. Most children would prefer to watch a silly cartoon, than something boring.
I personally think that even after reading Amusing Ourselves to Death, I will still excessively watch television. It is like a drug. It gets you hooked onto to the stuff they show in tv. The people who most affected with the addiction to television is teenagers. They have shows like One Tree Hill, Baldwin Hills, American Idol, and America's Next Top Model. We are attracted to the drama of other people on television shows because it's not our own. Also, we watch because of boredom. Homework is boring so we watch tv. Chores are boring so we watch tv. It's like a cycle. People working in the media industry know all of this so they find ways to make us keep watching. The more we watch the tv show thier ratings go up.
I believe that the reason why we still sit in front of the television is because we’ve grown up with the TV. We have been programmed to think along with the TV. It’s not as easy as just turning it off or watching it less because it is in our heads. Every aspect of our culture is driven by it. We are a very impatient culture. Waiting for something is difficult for most of us. We want it now and we want it quick. The television gives us this want. However, it is the speed of information on the TV that prevents us from reflecting on the material given to us like books provide. We need to wake up our culture and not just sit passively by while the TV tells us what the truth is. Not all TV is bad. Television like books can be used to entertain and to educate us. Programs on Discovery or History channel are very educational. We all can agree that there is plenty of TV programming that simply entertains us. Postman points out that some occasional entertainment is not the issue; only when this becomes our main way of retrieving information. TV’s are wonderful for that instant up to the minute information one needs right after an earthquake. I know if I need to write a paper on the causes of earthquakes I will go to the library.
I agree with Tim, We may not see TV, as mind controling, or a drug, but the truth is that TV has us wanting more of it we are addictied to it we "have" to know who wins American Idol, or Who went off the Biggest Loser. i consider a drug to be harmful to ones health and many of you would agree, but wait isn't TV harmful to our health? its funny how a nation that almost every house hold has a TV is the same nation which has high obestity rates in childern, and adults. has TV become so intersting that our little brothers, or sister rather plot themslefes down and "Amuse themseleves to death"?
I agree with everyone and Tim that television is a drug. I think it's the biggest, and easiest drug that everyone can get hooked on. I watch t.v. every single day for at least 2 hours. In between beaks from homework and studying I watch t.v. Its also a good drug because it refreshes my brain. T.v. can also change your mood easily. If you watch sports and your favorite player missed the shot and your team lost it makes you really upset. I personaly have been in these type of situations. Just this year, I had to study for finals but instead watched the Lakers play the Celtics for game 6 of the series. They lost and i felt so mad that i didn't study. T.v. can make you dumber, except if you watch the history channel, discover kids, or animal planet. Television controls us on a daily aspect. But then again if no one watched t.v. for a week or so how would we found out about the news, or murderers lurking the streets.
-rishabh mehta
I sometimes find it weird how people sit at home watching "reality T.V. shows" based on some other family's life. Why not get off the couch and have your own life instead of watching some other peoples lives?
Television may control us but money controls the television. Most things you'll see on the television are produced by people looking into getting the most amount of money possible for one television program. Thinking of ways to get more people to tune in and watch their pointless programs.
Although, I may speak of television like I'm against, but deep down inside I'm a television lover just like anybody else. It controls me too.
Post a Comment