Thursday, July 31, 2008

Amusing Ourselves to Death

I started reading this book a few weeks ago. It was very confusing in the beginning. I had to re-read Chapter 1. Once I started to read Chapter 1, again, I read it with an open mind. It began to make so much more sense. I realized how shallow our society is. We depend on media and everything else. Our society has become completely dependent on hearing things by media that some people have begun to schedule their lives around what comes on television, or what comes on the radio.

I also completely agree with Postman about the way that looks are connected with talent. Anyone can definitely have talent, but not everyone is put on television. Producers of television shows dont like to put ugly people on television.If you watch television shows where America votes people off, they never have ugly people. I think that it's because of ratings. I do agree with Postman that looks and talent are connected, evn though they shouldn't be.

Does anyone agree?

5 comments:

ashjohnson said...

Yes I really agree that looks are connected with talent. For example, when I was about 13 years old I participated in a singing competition hosted by Debbie Allen. There were plenty of talented young girls but because some seemed more glamorous than others, they were placed in the top. When I was younger it didn't really hit me how shallow people were! I thought I won just because of my voice, but as I watch the recorded videos I hear and see the real reason I even placed second. It kind of hurts me to think that people could be prejudice with children! Of course it still makes me happy that I placed high but all in all I have to realize it was in someway the wrong reason. So yes talent and looks are connected!

CierraLundy said...

For the majority, I also agree. The television is flooded with beautiful people who possess mediocre talent. I wouldn't go as far as to say "always" but quite often. I'm not a fan of the world "always" because that is a word that is rarely held true.
I remember some awkward looking people making it far on American Idol (i.e. Clay Aiken.)
There are some good honest people still in this world...just not many.

AFletcher said...

Cierra said: There are some good honest people still in this world...just not many.

Oh, Kids Kids Kids. Most people are good. Most want to do the right thing. Most people are honest. We just don't pay attention to all the working people who swing their legs over the bed every day, and go out and do right by their families and by the world. That's just not a very interesting story, so it gets little air time. Can you imagine it? On the news? "Today, most of the people here in the Southland went to work, paid their bills, watered their grass, walked their dogs, hugged their children, drove their cars responsibly and were kind to their neighbors. Film at 11."

Joshua Livingston said...

I completely agree that to the media talent is based on appearance. I'm not going to lie I'd much rather watch a movie with a good looking girl that's just an OK actor than a movie with a not so good looking girl whose a great actor. That sounds horrible but I guess the media has brainwashed me too.

As far as what Cierra was saying about Clay Aiken, when he was first on the show he wasn't the media's idea of a star quality looking person. So of course American Idol worked their magic and a few shows later clay Aiken was neatly dressed, had a haircut, and got contacts. Sure enough he made it onto the finals after his makeover.

Tomato said...

Today all you see on the media ares catastrophes and pretty people because thats what people prefer to watch while sitting on their couch. Once in a while there will be a report on how good people saved the day or how they did something for the community. The fact that good-looking people are placed above the people who are more talented then them is morally wrong and shallow. However, that shows how ideas of racism, prejudice or "good-looking supremacy" affect the decisions made by people today.