Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Better examples for my last blog post

In Brave New World, we see the production methods as immoral or wrong. But it's smoothly maintaining a well-functioning society, right? So I would say the third chapter is when there is already a clear foreshadowing of that society's downfall.

Sure, promiscuity in this society is the norm. Talking about sex with others in their society, is just as talking about walking the dog together, in our society. But when Bernard Marx listens in on two men talking about this one woman, he is horrified. "'Talking about her as though she were a bit of meat.' Bernard ground his teeth. 'Have her here, have her there. Like mutton. Degrading her to so much mutton.'" (45-46). This instantly proves the society's fault and doom. In Huxley's society, people aren't supposed to have strong feeling. That is what keeps the society under stability. But like I mentioned in another blog before, natural science could not be reigned over by technical science. And apparently, Bernard is an example of the fault in this society.

Obviously, Bernard sees sex as more than just a dog walking trip. And the only way for him to feel this is as if he had strong feelings and opinions, which are exactly what the society does not want. So another contribution to my last blog!

The characters in Huxley's book are correct-strong emotions make a society unstable. But humans are naturally supposed to be like this, who or what can beat that? And that is exactly why a Utopian society cannot exist.

8 comments:

Christina Galvan said...

I defiantly agree that the characters aren't supposed to have strong emotions, but when Bernard speaks to Hemholtz Watson, he strikes me as a character who just wants popularity. I think he will play a significant role in the book but he won't be the hero of the story.

Aroutt said...

I disagree...I actually haven't thought of Marx as one who wants popularity. Maybe he wants other people to view in his way? But I think his human instincts and feelings break through, and that is why he is acting differently than the rest of the brainwashed society.

But yes, he obviously plays a significant role in the book. This is because he is the major example of the fault in this utopia. The one who brings it all down.

ashvieng said...

I agree with Amy, Bernard Marx does not look like he wants popularity, more like wanting to find other people who feel the same way as he does and making people see his way. He finds a fault in the society but does not bring it down though. Thank Marx for being a gentlemen and knowing that sex is not like a dog taking a trip. I think it's disrespectful the way the guys are in the book. I get why the society is taught this way but it is really really wrong!

NC Foodies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NC Foodies said...

Amy and Ashley, I do agree with you to some extent. I believe that you are correct in saying that Bernard is disinterested in gaining popularity. What he desires is not popularity, but rather, to “fit in”. I also believe (as Christine said) that Marx is not the hero of the story. He does play a significant role in the novel; however, to a certain degree, he acts as the novel’s false protagonist, being the major “outcast” in the novel only until this role is replaced by John the Savage.

Bernard Marx basically symbolizes the characteristics of men before Ford; therefore, he is the personification of everything the World State has supposedly suppressed. The negative human values that Bernard represents reveals his inability to be the traditional hero figure, but these same values are so valuable to the story which is set in a dehumanizing world. He only becomes accepted as a “hero” after John appears and that is when he attempts to live up to the Brave New World society’s expectations.

Proof of Bernard’s role as the novel’s false protagonist is shown even in his individualism. I believe that Bernard Marx only criticizes the system because he is isolated. Secretly, he wants to be like anybody else - a happy member of the highest class. Consequently, while Bernard is not a hero, he is still interesting because he demonstrates the human trait of desire – he wants what he can’t have. He lacks the courage to stand up for his beliefs. Even his popularity is short-lived. After Bernard's trip to the reservation, the role of the main character is gradually taken over by John the savage, the “real” protagonist.

Despite his major role in the story, Bernard Marx is not a hero, but rather, a hypocrite. His individualism allows him to protest against society only to a certain extent, and even then, his true desire is only to “fit it”.

NC Foodies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NC Foodies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
NC Foodies said...
This comment has been removed by the author.