What is this nonense about, "Every one belongs to every one else,"? Is it just me or do some of you guys agree that a society shouldn't say that you belong to the person sitting next to you and they belong to you? Brave New World is one of the craziest and most controversial books I have ever read. I want to know how Huxley came up with these ideas. They're brilliant. But anyway, back to my point. I don't get how an idea like that can be successful and keep a society going. What if our world developed an idea such as this? Or not even the world. What if California made a new law that said "Every one belongs to every one else,"? I don't think it would work out too well. It would give rapists and murderers excuses to rape and murder. They would say something like, "She belongs to me, so therefore i have every right to rape her," or "He belongs to me. I can kill him if i want,". Its ridiculous.
In this book, i don't see it get out of hand, but Lenina and Fanny had a conversation about "having" different men. Fanny convinced Lenina to sleep with more men because "every one belongs to every one else,". I guess it dosen't get out of hand because its the only thing that these people have known and its the norm to sleep with a varitey of men or women. What are your guy's thoughts on this? What if our world started to develop this concept? Would we end up even more corrupted or would it do something else?
Monday, July 28, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I completely agree with your opinion. It is quite absurd. I don’t understand how people can just say and believe those things without any objection. Of course, it does have to do with how they were brought up, so it’s not entirely the society’s fault. Try seeing it from their view, if you were repeatedly hypnotized to believe a certain way, how could you resist? Since this book isn’t our reality, we mustn’t worry too much about those psychotic people out there that find murdering innocent people enjoyable. There are people like that, but the law won’t let them get away with it simply because a slogan that states “everyone belongs to everyone else.” So you’re safe for now.
Lenina and Fanny aren’t the cleverest of them all simply because they were never allowed to explore contradicting ideas. Again, they were raised that way so they know no different. Promiscuity is highly recommended to live a “happy” life. Sadly, they will never know how it feels to be in love.
I agree with what you're saying completely . They think having Sex a lot is the way to live a civilized life. It is actually uncivilized. Mustapha Mond has completely corrupted their minds into thinking if you have sex, you have a happy life. I do not think our society will ever become like that. Unlike Brave New World, our world has morals, religion and culures. We were all raised differently in different religions and cultures. They do not have any morals because they are conditioned to have none.
When Lenina came on to John in the book, John totally rejected her. He demonstrated that he believed in his morals.She couldn't understand it because she wasn't taught about morality.
Yes, I understand where you guys are coming from with the whole morality issue. But if you think about it it's like were the "savages" in the book and most of their morals are similar to the ones we have in our world today. jdeleon I agree with the statement you made when you said that "its not entirely the societys fault"; because in the case of the individuals in the "other world" the fingers should be pointed towards the soiety simply because they didnt have parents or grandparents to raise them on the morals that they were once brought up on, all they know is the information they were hypnotized to know.
I am not content with the fact that their world is acceptingly based upon SEX and SOMA. But if you think about it our world is based upon those things also its just that for them it isnt bad and its NOT against their morals but for us it IS agianst most of our morals and beliefs. For example, a man in our world wouldnt want his wife sleeping with any other men because to society that isnt right but in the "other world" its accepted and not only that its like they praise the fact that one is able to have a multiple of sex partners. Do you think that after a while the soma will not have a strong effect on their bodies ? Do you think that the people in the "other world" will go searching for a more effective drug like the people in oyr world do?
Michelle I totally agree that the whole idea of "Everyone belongs to everyone else" is pretty sick. But I am almost completely 100% sure, well 99.9% sure, that California will not develop a law like that out of the blue. Or any other state for that matter. Keep in mind that in Brave New World they are all clones and they were brought up learning that that is the way to live. That way of life is justified. It's the only life they know. That idea worked because in Brave New World the society is based off of pleasure and entertainment.
And if say, the world eventually in the far off future developed that particular concept, it would probably because the world began developing the leniency towards that way of life. In which case the people of the futuristic world would be okay with the way of life of a brave new world.
I do agree with you about, "Every one belongs to every one else." It's very nasty and sick but the people in Brave New World have been taught to do it like that. We have been taught to not to do this, or have this mentality. I doubt our world will ever start doing this, maybe other parts of countries, but for sure not where were living. If we actually did end up like this, I don't where to begin. There would so many problems, and bad things. I also think that soma had something to do with this because whenever they take soma they end up having sex with multiple partners.
Post a Comment