...when I see someone say something like, "I know Postman is boring but hang in there, it will be over soon."
Honestly, do you think I have assigned this book because I want to see if you have the stamina to withstand boredom? When a 15- to 16-year old person -- half way through with high school -- has the audacity to be dismissive of me and the book I've assigned, and worse, dismissive of one of the most highly regarded social critics of the 20th century -- a man with 20 books to his credit, a professor from NYU with an Ed.D, and probably 100s of published essays to his credit -- well it says quite a bit more about the young person than it does about Postman.
If you have a critique of Postman, I am happy to hear it. Better figure out what it is, though.
I am on a Postman binge: I'm reading or have read this summer The End of Education; Teaching as a Subversive Activity; Conscientious Objections; Technopoly; and of course, I'm re-reading Amusing Ourselves to Death.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Postman isn't boring at all. In fact, who better than Postman to tackle an issue such as this. I mean, Ann Coulter? No. She's her own type of conservative.
Well, perhaps Christopher Hitchens, but he's too busy writing about Orwell and Huxley (what a coincidence, I was excited when I discovered this), and now he spends his time debating and writing his own books.
I'd say Postman delivers his own unique blend of seriousness and entertainment in his commentary. In fact, sometimes his words seem like they were written in a different form of poetry, a Postman style. I've seen this type of writing many times by authors who were incredibly passionate about the topic discussed in their book. Darwin, in The Origins of Species, sometimes makes science sound like the purest form of poetry. I'd argue Postman does the same.
Post a Comment