Saturday, July 19, 2008

Today's media

"A river that slowly has been polluted suddenly becomes toxic...(27-28)"

So Postman's metaphor is saying that television is the "pollutant" of our minds, which is the "river." Postman also says that television has "great emotional power(29)" and can turn us one way or another in our opinions of things. After reading this, I think to myself that if this book was written around the late 80s, early 90s, then how much more polluted have our minds become now? Postman believed that the "pollution" of our "rivers" has reached critical mass and now our minds are "toxic." If this is true, then what will become of future generations? Especially with the media today targeting younger and younger viewers and all the sex, drugs and violence you see on television, what kind of society will become of it all in the future. I think that today's media will do more harm than good because with television, there are corporations behind all the programming who fund it and other corporations advertising through it so what shows up on the television is partly dictated by the greed of corporations selling their products. As with the printing-press and typography, those were more or less for informational purposes and therefore they wouldn't be as corrupt as as television which is perceived as more or an item of entertainment rather than information. Now when people say the phrase "mind numbing television" I take it a bit more seriously because I think that that's what's becoming of our people today and today's media is doing more harm than good.

2 comments:

Rachel Fisher said...

That is so very true. The reason why it hasn't been noticed throughout the world? It's like eating chips straight from the bag. You can't keep track of how much you are eating until the whole bag is gone. The same thing happen when you watch television. Pretty soon you've watched it for four hours straight. I guess we just have to put the chips on our plate to stop it from getting worse. See television for what it is: ENTERTAINMENT! Life isn't all about entertainment, maybe that's the problem. We just want to be entertained forever and tv is the only thing that provides lifelong entertainment.

Anonymous said...

Exactly. I have told you this personally myself Josh. Remember how I told you that the world is trying to head to a One World Goevernment? This is one way they are going to achieve that goal, I'm not saying this is totally true but it is has a likely possibilty. Through the media they show what they want and don't show you what's really behind the curtains such as 911. There's more to that than just terrorists but I'd rather not go into that. Eventually our minds will be so rotted we will beleive anything we see or hear to the point that we are easily manipulated by the big bosses such as in Brave New World.