In the beginning of the first chapter in Postman’s Amusing Ourselves to Death, I found myself agreeing with him on the topic concerning people’s appearances on television because, not to sound shallow or anything, nobody really wants to watch an ugly person give them the news. Isn’t it when a person sees something that they think is distasteful that they get “turned off” and begin to look for something that will catch their attention? For this same reason, the people who hire the reporters or newscasters search for someone who will be able to catch the viewer’s eye and be able to keep it.
I have recently witnessed this same situation on a TV show, which is based on a true story, that a young girl’s dream to become a singer had been turned down due to her lack of the necessary look. What’s more is that the lady that told her that she lacked “the look” did not give her a chance to sing. As I saw this, I remembered what Postman had said and I found that it is true what he said about appearances, I also remembered how Malcolm Gladwell, the author of Blink, had encountered a similar situation regarding a person’s appearances and how they perform musically.
I would like to hear your thoughts on whether you think people do watch shows or the news because of the people’s looks.
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
It is so true that looks can get you far in the entertainment industry. I have seen on American Idol tons of times. If some one sounds amazing but doesn't have "the look" the judges might not move them on to Hollywood. Take David A.He was so cute and talented, but I think his looks got him where he is more than is voice. On the other hand casting directors also look for the "It" factor. That means you need that special something other than looks. They want a personality as well as a great look. I really don't want to see a good looking guy on TV with nothing that grabs my attention.
Sadly, I have to agree with that statement. To get far in the entertainment business, you have to have the look. I don't personally agree with this, I think that it is degrading to people that aren't necessarily perfect, but at points I know in my mind that it is true. One of my closest friends has this dream to become an actress, and I have been nothing but supportive of her. Every night, though, I sit and wonder, is she really going to make it, are they going to accept her? She isn't exactly your Jennifer Love Hewitt or Jessica Alba, but her personality and perseverance ought to be enough. Sure she can probably win over lots of hearts with her personality, but how long can that last? She needs the one thing to rope in the fame, she needs to have the look. Perfection should definitely be the surname for Hollywood, because one little flaw can mean the end of a career.
I agree that a lot of people watch shows based on the appearance of actors and actresses. As a result the media has placed a lot of importance on people having the "right" look. I have heard all the stories of people who did not get a job in show business because they didn't look the part. I've also heard stories of people getting plastic surgery in order to have the right look.
However, I am confused by your reference to Blink. (I assume you're talking about Kenna, Kristine) From what I understood, Kenna was liked more for his personality than his looks. That's why the people who did not watch him perform on stage did not like his music. They only heard his voice, not the personality behind it.
-Sejal Shah
I absolutely agree with Postman in this aspect. Take a look at any show, from "So You Think You Can Dance" to "American Idol". Have you ever seen a truly ugly person win? This example proves Postman's point perfectly, because America chooses and votes for the winners of these shows. This is just a minor aspect of this issue, in that appearance may negatively affect something much more important than television shows, such as politics and choosing leaders and presidents.
Postman states that "cosmetics has replaced ideology as the field of expertise over which a politician must have competent control" (4). This statement shows how political figures may be affected by their looks rather than their ideas. Also, newscasters, television actors, and many others are highly influenced by looks. It seems that no matter where you look in modern culture, the necessity to be attractive is present.
I agree that the “right” look often becomes more important than the talent in the world of show business. I also believe that the viewers prefer to see people in the television with the looks as it seems that the good looks of these entertainers are more refreshing in the eyes than entertainers without unique looks.
About the connection of looks and talents, I think that the audiences of show business see that these good looks add popularity for the entertainers and they also increase the amount of entertainment given to the viewers besides their unique talents. This means that the performers’ talents are like delicious food while the good looks are like side dishes that compliments the delicious food. As the good looks compliments the unique talents, there is more entertainment given to the viewers that increases popularity of the entertainers rather than simply giving entertainment with just talent.
Although most of the viewers and the people behind the world of show business prefer entertainers with good looks, I still believe that there are still some people who give more credits and admiration for the unique talents of the entertainers rather than the good looks. These people really see how the entertainers’ talents are the things that are important about entertainment rather than the looks because the talents are actually harder to find among millions of people than good looks.
- Johnnel Fajardo
That is very true. Whenever we start to read a novel, we tend to envision the main character as someone who is very attractive, often the "perfect" person. I disagree with johnnel about how looks are like side dishes complimenting the talent. The media portrays that talent isn't neccesary when you got the looks.
Also, how many actors/actresses are out there that are unattractive? Even they get criticized for being unattractive. So what are we supposed to think when supposedly, the most beautiful people on the Earth are getting critized for being fat or ugly? Are we supposed to accept that we are lower beings than they are? The media makes us all strive to become the "perfect" person, which is near impossible. With these many lies surrounding our daily lives, how can we turn away from it?
Even though outside of the entertainment industry, looks barely get you anywhere and talent is everything, how much do they affect our lives? The entertainment industry hits home the most. To me, the future looks as if looks will get you everywhere.
I definitely agree that looks are weighed more heavily than talents in most cases. This is evident even when people are applying for jobs. A recent study by a popular television news program investigated the pursuit of a professional career, and how looks play a role. Two men and two women were sent out in search of jobs (one of each was considered more attractive than the other, and their looks were accentuated up or down with make-up). Both dressed well and had equal qualifications. Each time, the "more attractive" man or woman, though equally well-spoken, amicable and qualified, was immediately invited back for a return interview, or hired right away. Looks and weight have continued to play a role in whether a person is hired, or is able to be promoted, especially in women. Professional women are often expected to be thin, well-dressed, and attractive. Even beyond the entertainment industry, looks continue to play a significant role, and gradually, it may just completely overtake "talent" as the main factor.
Post a Comment