After reading some of these posts, I decided it was time that I start reading the book that has been grabbing a lot of attention lately. Amusing Ourselves to Death is an interesting book to say the least. After reading the first chapter I found myself grinning at the pages. He is absolutely right when talking about how we are changing from the "Age of Typography " into the "Age of Television", and how reading and writing is going out of "style".
I also found it very amusing when he mentioned how our culture is being controlled by our media, and that you will never find a fat president in today's world because they don't have camera appeal. I immediately began to think of our governor and his history as an actor, and I think that his looks and his past entertainment career may have definitely had something to do with his election. I also feel that it has a connection with Orwell's essay because of the way that they both mention that no one really pays any more attention to the English language. Television and technology have clearly taken over.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment