Soma, soma, soma. Imagine our world with a little touch of soma. Would it make our world a better place and just may be the thing to make our world close to paradise? Or would the civilians grow dependent on it and expect soma to get them through each and every day? When i talk to someone, i want to talk to the real them. I don't want them to be all drugged up on soma and have the soma talking for them. I don't want a world filled with mindless people who arn't thinking for themselves anymore. Or am i the only one who is picturing this sort of affect?
Do you guys think soma would help our society or corrupt it? If the people were given unlimited access to soma, of course they are going to take as much as they can get their hands on. If the people go on holiday after holiday, they are going to end up like Linda. They are going to slowly destroy themselves and the soul that dwells inside of them. I think that the suicidal people in this world would probably use soma as their escape from their problems. This may sound like a good thing, but i can see it as more of a problem than a help. Our world is already corrupted. It's filled with drug addicts, alcoholics, and murderers. Would soma help that to decrease the problem? Or would it act as something different and have a negative affect? I see all sorts of possibilities with soma being in our world, but most them i think will be negative. What do you guys think?
Saturday, July 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I think soma would corrupt our society. But not to such an extent like in BNW. Soma is just another way for people to either numb the pain or gain confidence. I understand why people would use it just like how they would take drugs or drink alcohol. Our society is continuously looking for a way out that people might actually be grateful for soma. I also wouldn't be surprised if psychiatrists would recommend soma to their patients who are depressed or who have anxiety.
To our society, soma is just another drug for people to overdose on and for people to protest against. To theirs, it's as natural as drinking water. It has been imbedded in their brains so that the people can be controled easier.
So really, i think the question you should be asking is whether or not we would give up our free will in order to obtain happiness?
I also think that soma will corrupt our society.
It's like taking drugs in our society, you become dependent on it.
The society thinks it means well and that it makes things better, but however, that isn't always the case
Soma is a drug. Most citizens in Brave New World are dependent on it. No one really wants a world filled with mindless people but that is what the world in BNW is filled with;endless mindlessness. How do you think its so easy for them to be controlled? They drug them, manipulate them. They have so much controll that the people are volunteeringly drugging themselves. Any drug thats handed out is a negative, period.
I agree with all of you that soma is a drug and the effects would be negative. This is a drug that can be used as an anti-depressant or pain killer,but with the addictiveness of this drug it would be a whole lot more than that. It would make people helpless and useless, and they would just be drains on society, living only for the drug. So I thik that it is negative.
I think in our society today, soma could could have some positive effects, but at the same time, it could just be like another drug that people abuse. I don't know about you all, but when I'm reading Brave New World and they're talking about soma, I tend to think of the drugs in our society. For example, when people in BNW go on holidays, it reminds me of when people who use drugs say they feel like they're in a completely different place.
I definitely think there are ways soma could help our society, but overall, I think the outcome of soma in today's society would be negavie.
Having soma in our society will have its pros and cons. Soma would be an addictive as it was in the novel of Brave New World. I don't think the people in our society will use soma through each and every day, but I think they will use the drug if they want to ignore stress, emotional feelings...etc.
Post a Comment