After thoroughly reading his essay I have come to find that I am in complete agreement with George Orwell. Who would have thought that one man could simply put politics and the decadence of the english language in eight pages?!
I can not even begin to tell you how many times i have finished a piece of writing and thought how insane it was of the author to make it more complicated than it should have ever been. I think simplicity is key and originality is a huge bonus.
I am astounded by how many metaphors - which were once original - have taken on the role of an every day word. Metaphors are meant to make you think and to spice things up, but have been failing to do so. They are unsuccessful because they are constantly used and abused. Nobody wants to take the time to come up with their own phrases!
I am not a fan of foreign phrases. I like the English language and would prefer to read English by itself; not combined with French or Latin.
I dislike hearing vague words that have no exact definition in a serious speech or discussion. Although, I am notorious for doing so.
It's hilarious to see public figures give speeches that have no originality to them because it makes me wonder what that person is doing up on stage. Why can't the majority think for themselves? Why so they continue to use the same mundane phrases?!
In each point that he made, I found him more and more sane. I found myself on the same note as him and greatly appreciated his views.
I loved his point about the reversiblity of foolish thoughts and slovenliness of our language.
Tuesday, July 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I am in agreement with you and with Orwell in this case. I have seen political speeches and many other documents and found them too confusing. They had complex words and like 10 words there when 3 words would do. I agree mainly due to his argument of simplicity. I believe simplicity is key to a better understanding of any writing. Better to keep it short and sweet rather than long and confusing
I also completely agree with you on this. It is extremely annoying when people give speeches that are overly complicated. Why not just get straight to the point?
His essay also pointed out the overuse of metaphors, which I didn't really notice until I read his essay; it is completely true. So many metaphors are overused and have lost their meaning. Foreign phrases are also completely pointless in literature. Not everyone studies foreign languages and if you're going to write a book for an English speaking audience, keep the phrases English.
So basically, I completely agree with what you say Cierra.
Post a Comment