Monday, July 7, 2008
The English Language is not the only thing being abused
The English language is not the only thing being abused, God is. Most television preachers have gone too far with their preaching. Nobody knows where they are preaching from, some turn what's on the bible upside down and and some just preach on their opinions which is usually untrue. When I was reading The Age of Showbusiness, the 6th chapter of Amusing Ourselves to Death, I came across this passage "Whereas the latter believes that you don't have to be boring to be holy, the former apparently believes you don't have to be holy at all" (93). What does he mean by "You don't have to be hloy at all" God is all about holiness, if you can't be holy, then don't even waste your time worshipping him because he will just ignore you. I'm a christian, so it's not like i'm judging these preachers when i don't know anything. Yes, we sin and God forgives us but we just can't go around telling others what we know is really untrue, that's just sin against the holy spirit and it's unforgivable. Didn't God bless America? If he did, then how come America is turning against him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I believe these are good thoughts. But just as you have your certain beliefs, some people grow up believing different things. I, myself, don't understand religion all that much. But i do know, that even if a group of people believe in the same religion, there are still many different thoughts and ideas of how the religion goes. I'm not sure what to tell you...I believe it's just that people are often told wrong or correct things by people who supposedly are in good relations with god. And i'm sure, that these people are often believed. I don't think it is wrong to have your own thoughts about god, and I honestly don't believe that people are turning against god. Whether they are right or wrong, they believe they are right along god's side, I'm sure. Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do about it. The best thing to do is follow along with god how you believe it should go.
I suppose there is the factor of people preaching about god, but using it to try and persuade people about different things that have nothing to do with religion. So I'm sure people "turn the bible upside down" such as you said. Off my head, I can't think of any examples though.
You get what I am saying? I think it is just that there are so many opinions that have been thrown about, there are probably so many wrong things that people believe in. Religion is just so controversial, and it is probably best to believe in god the way you do, and continue worshiping him the way you believe it's right. Then let other people do it their own way, you know?
I agree with Amy and that we should respect others belief, and also we shouldn't reject their thoughts on religion because it would just spark conflict.
And to reflect on your last statement that God Blessed America. I always thought the phrase was just asking for God to give its blessing to America. I didn't believe that God already did so, but i might be wrong. Maybe I'm just misinterpreted the phrase, but why should God restrict itself to America? Wouldn't he bless everyone? So I guess i still believe that the term is only asking for God's blessing.
I apologize for the avoidance of the subject. It was accidental.
As I read the post and each comment I was able to agree and relate to majority of what was said. I agree with the first comment that the subject of religion is very controversial. Having a religion is a personal thing that you have to build depending on what you and maybe your family choose to believe. But me also coming from a christian home can understand what the post was referring to, because we know what we believe in so to see something that goes against it can be upsetting.
All in all everyones different and are going to have opinions, beliefs, and thoughts that are different. All you can really do is respect it and just keep believing in what you believe.
Well, you all seem to be agreeing [for the most part], so I thought that a different opinion would be able to promote healthy conversation.
Well, before I begin, I apologize if I say anything that might be offensive. Please, I’d rather not get put down for my lack of belief. And, feel free to take anything I say very, very lightly, or correct me if I’m wrong. [I felt the need to write that, as many see it’s obvious that religion and I don’t hold hands or stand side by side often].
To Blessing:
I don’t necessarily agree “God” is being abused. Now, the so called collection of 66 “Holy Books” that Christians refer to as the Bible is. One thing Televangelists are known for in the secular society is this: They are out to get money. Not true for all of them, but a lot. Plenty of times, these Televangelists are busted for financial matters [using ministry money for Pastor Greg’s frequent vacations-err, mission trips to Hawaii, exempting themselves from government taxing, and what of Reverend Larry’s new private jet?]. Also, depending on what denomination of Christianity you subscribe to, your definition of salvation or holiness is different. According to the WORLD CHRISTIAN DATABASE, there are over 9,000 Christian denominations around the world. Yikes. And of course, each one thinks they’re right, even though the basic doctrine of Christianity remains the same.
Also, I would assume that in your closing statements, you imply America was founded on Christianity. Not so. Many founding fathers were actually deist, not just Christian. There’s a reason for separation of church and state, and freedom of religion. According to article 11 of the Treaty of Tripoli…
Art. 11. As the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion; as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion, or tranquility, of Mussulmen; and, as the said States never entered into any war, or act of hostility against any Mahometan nation, it is declared by the parties, that no pretext arising from religious opinions, shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries.
Feel free to correct me on anything.
To Amy:
If you want examples of turning the bible upside, know this: Often times, these preachers like to cherry pick the bible, I’d say. I’m sure I can find a preacher in America who preaches pro-slavery, that you must stone your disobedient children, and that a woman cannot get up and preach. As well, I can find one who condemns slavery, says that stoning children goes against the commandment of not killing, and that when Paul said to not let woman preach, it was more of a cultural thing. To move on, you said that it is better to live and let live when it comes to religion. I agree, totally. But, religion does not. Did not Jesus say to “preach to the ends of the Earth”? Did not the Prophet Muhammad claim he was the official messenger of Allah, to deliver a message to all who shall accept it? Isn’t John McCain a little too old to be doing much of anything anymore?
Converts are critical, I’d say. They’ll never get my vote, though.
To Andy:
Yes, please Andy, say it again. People should be more tolerant. And not just for different religions, I would also appreciate people take me kindly for lacking belief. It irks me to the highest degree that respect is not something people have in abundance.
Oh, and depending on what religion you believe in, God doesn’t need to bless anybody. Only those faithful to him, whether that means you knock on my door every Saturday, or you walk into a city bus strapped with bombs under your vest, or not forgetting to end every prayer to the Flying Spaghetti Monster with the word “Ramen”.
To Ashjohnson:
Yes, yes, yes… and yes. I agree that belief should be a personal thing. Hoping the sun wont set won’t make it happen though. These Televangelist and Preachers of the “no taxation with denomination” doctrine have turned religion [Christianity, in general] into an industry. It’s some kind of market game. Bring people in, sit them down, tell them what they want to hear, and boom. You’re rich. It’s sickening. And since you state you’re a Christian, I can only imagine how dishonest it might seem to you and your beliefs.
In fact, I’d actually like to know more of your opinions on the matter of television being used as an exhausting source of bad religion.
Again, for anybody who happens to be religious, please don’t take what I’ve said offensively. I’m trying hard to be as pleasant as possible. Of course, that may not always be possible… But I think different beliefs are good for any conversation. You can choose to not contemplate on anything I’ve typed.
Post a Comment