I’d been waiting since around 9:00 PM. The television is glaring in the background, and I wipe the sweat off my brow. Now, it’s creeping towards midnight. Soon enough, the 29th turned into the 30th of July. My boredom soon disappeared as a woman was brought in screaming in pain. I am in an emergency room waiting area, and the woman who was carried in by a friend had been shot. I got the idea of this post while still in the hospital waiting room. In fact, I wrote it there too.
I’ve recently been having a neat conversation - Click Here – where we’ve touched slightly on the topic of Adolph Hitler (just ever so slightly). You know, after WW1, people wanted a solution from their problems. People like Adolph Hitler and Benito Mussolini offered a “supposed fix” to the problems. They offered a solution, a distraction. Only later did the system begin to show its true flaws…People began to recognize it was not a good thing. This new solution might’ve offered a quick distraction, but soon enough people were able to see the rattle on the snake.
People in BNW have lost individuality. They’ve allowed themselves to be lied to. It led to indoctrination. Why? There aren’t many conflicts in BNW. I doubt anybody would find themselves in the situation I did. In a dark world, people want a source of light. Offer an expired piece of raw meat to a starving man, and he might just eat it.
I sometimes wonder if technology offers a distraction from our own fears. It can be good, a distraction to get your mind off of feasting on your fears. But, just like Soma, we cannot let the things we consume, well, consume us. Sooner or later, we might want to take our eyes off what we’re being fed by the media and government…To stop taking in propaganda hand in hand with truth. Do you still remember the problems we face in the Middle East? Do you still remember September 11? Do you remember that people really do get shot in the streets at midnight? Do you remember to be human every once in a while, and think of what’s really going on, even if it feasts on your brutal emotions? Or have you been too busy flipping channels, or at the Mall?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
No, Sergio, I have not been at the mall. I was too busy writing this.
Now go back to working on your AP Homework. You have too much time on your hands.
:)
Sergio, you've made an excellent point. I rely on technology as a distraction all the time. Why would you want to have to deal with your problems or fears? Confrontation is not always easy, especially with everyone looking for the easy way out. As bad as it is, sometimes you can't help yourself. For example, I've been procrastinating my summer homework to the very last minute. Even though I've tried an attempt on it before, I just wandered off to either the internet or TV. I do realize that everyone should take the time to be human and think about things.
Post a Comment