More Brave New World from me. (Intriguing book).
In chapter six,the Director, formerly known as Thomas, claimed that he took a visit to the Savage Reservation with the woman he was with at the time, but only to come back without her. It’s supposed that he lost her, probably it was that, “She must have fallen into a gully somewhere; or been eaten by a mountain lion.” (97). I did figure there was something odd about the Director, like he was hiding something. It was probably because of him explaining how terrible he felt? Or possibly it was the feeling he got when he realized he was blabbering on to Marx? Was it embarrassment or anger that he was feeling while he was blushing?
Reading on through chapter seven and eight, I thought more about how Linda ended up being isolated with a whole bunch of savages while she was pregnant. Oh Ford! The irony! How amazing of a coincidence is it that a woman that fell pregnant was left behind in the Savage Reservation? Obviously, pregnancy is not allowed in London. It is way more than just being against London’s status quo. Most people do not know what parents are!
So what really did happen? Is it a possibility that Thomas ditched her after he found out she were pregnant? Possibly he made up the whole story, which was why he began to blush when he realized he was blabbering on about it to Marx. Or is it the possibility that Linda, in fear, actually pretended to be lost, making Thomas believe she were gone? Did she not want to be shunned in her born society? Did she fear becoming upset, different, and an outcast? But what exactly does this whole secret mean to society? Was it some kind of clue to what was to come? Did Huxley mean for anyone to catch onto this? Or was the Director simply telling the truth? I am sincerely curious!
6 comments:
Amy, where does it say that Mustapha's name was Thomas? I didn't even know they mentioned that, but I could have easily forgot I read that part. I also felt there was something fishy about Mustapha. He seemed very odd. Amy I think it was not Mustapha that was with Linda, I believe it was the Director. I think you got the two mixed up. I do believe Linda tried to get lost or leave the Director on purpose because she didn't want to be different, but because she maybe wanted to start a new life and maybe she thought that the Director was not going to be a good father to her child. If the Director just dropped her off on purpose in this other place, I think he did it because he didn't want to be different or be picked on by the others.
I'm sorry, I did mix both of them up! I mean, I knew which was with Linda. Perhaps I just mixed the names up. Either way, thanks for telling me.
I believe she more likely left out of fear than wanting to start a new life. After all, she was conditioned with the rest of society. And in that society, no one is going to worry about a man being a good father, or wanting to start a new life in the Savage Reservation.
But I do agree with you when you say he left her because he didn't want to get into any kind of trouble. Obviously a woman having a baby in London's society is not right. That's exactly why I figured that it's a possibility he left her there on purpose.
Indeed the Director is an interesting person. After he seem to recall his memores at the savage reservation, he seemed pissed, embarassed, and shocked that Marx. After reading and fining out the Linda was pregant and left behind, it seemed that the most obvious reason is that the Director left her because he was ashamed of having the title of "father". Or could it be possible that he couldn't actually find her, and she got pregant by some other savage? and that could kinda explain the reason with Linda n Pope. Either way, the book doesn't really go in depth with the results, and just says that John is Thomas's son and Linda was his lover. Although the Director is a well respected man, he has bad secrets that go against the laws. It seemed that Linda really wantd to go back to London because she was talking about all of the things she use to have and she was dying for a soma. Thus, using this fact, we could presume that somehow she got lost, got pregant, and felt ashamed afterwords and became a big outcast to society
After having her son there was no where for her to go. She was caught between two worlds, not belonging to either. She couldn't go back to the society that raised her because she had become a mother, an obscenity by there standards. At the same time she didn't fully belong to the society she fell into, either, because of her conflicting morals and narrow abilities, both results of her childhood conditioning. It took Marx, a similar but not as severe outcast, to reintroduce her to the society she missed.
Its so weird how in our world when a woman becomes pregnant, a lot of times she is happy about it. In their world, being pregnant is almost like being an alien. They don't know what to do with you. So when Linda got pregnant, what was she going to do? She couldn't go back. The director must've known all about it and therefore is was very convenient for her to get lost at such a time.
Post a Comment