Saturday, July 26, 2008

Oh, How the Tables Have turned then turned back again.

The other day I was reading Brave New World. I was reading from the part were Lenina and Bernard went to New Mexico and visited a reserve. At first I thought it was going to be another trip and nothing unusual will happen, then suddenly this kid was being used as a sacrifice and being whipped. Also Linda, who was from the "other place", had a kid who's father is the Director.John and Bernard have a lot in common. Linda,Lenina, John, and Bernard go back to civilization. When they get back, Bernard becomes so popular and cool, because of John. He is also not hanging out with his real friend he use to have. Bernard invites John to a party and John refuses to go. Everyone was told that John was going to be there, and since he didn't show ever one was very unhappy with Bernard. Now he is back to being alone and. This whole incident got me thinking. What if John had gone to the party? Would that have change to course of the story that much or was Bernard's 15 minutes of popularity going to end anyways. I think that John would have left the party early and everyone would have been mad anyway, but just at a later time in the book.

1 comment:

Diamond Huffman said...

I feel as though if John would have attended the party then the course of the book would have changed. Maybe Bernard would still have his small amount of fame but at the same time John is applying himself as being the wiser individual; it seems as if he's taken the responsibility of being the mature one in this part of the book. John knows that giving those patients soma will have a negative effect on their body and lives so hes doing whats right by standing up for it and staying away from the drug hisself and I am content with his actions.