In chapter 7 of Amusing Ourselves to Death The focus was mainly the image of a person, and what we assume about them when we see them on television. For example, if they are elderly we could assume they are wiser and more credible. The chapter was also about how our “daily news” has turned into entertainment. When I see a news reporter on television I usually cannot assume whether or not the story they are telling is entire truth. Because a reporter technically gets their information from a source, and I think information changes when it is told from one person to another. A reporter should have a well-presented and professional image according to Postman. This is true if the audience were to be persuaded. Since different news stories are segmented so short, we barely have time to ponder on an event and come up with our own opinions because the next story is already being told. If information was presented by less attractive reporters would more people actually think about whether or not this “news” was honest? In our future, will someone have the ability to send a destructive influence without us even realizing it by having an attractive or trustworthy IMAGE?
Saturday, July 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I agree with Postman when he says that the news is entertainment. I know that I have heard a story on the news that was interesting, yet pointless. What is so significant about a new record of the biggest pizza ever made? Is that really important? Entertainment is what keeps the ratings high and the people happy, producing money that makes the people running the daily news happy.
News stations keep stories short to keep people interested. If a reporter were to ramble on, people may get bored and change the channel. And it doesn't hurt that many new stations now put the rest of the story on the internet for those interested.
I don't know if a person's attractiveness can make a person dishonest. I think it depends on how a person presents their story and themselves. As long as this person looks professional with his/her presentation, people are more likely to believe it.
I think there are destructive influences today and in history based off of a trustworthy image, and there will be more in the future. Look at dictators, specifically Hitler. He was belived to be trusted by the Germans due to the help he promises, but his actions caused negative responses from other countries. This eventually caused Germany to lose World War II, placing Germany in a worse position.
Post a Comment