Monday, July 21, 2008

Our Ford

It seems that religion has always been a huge part of our world. Christianity is a big one, and while reading this book I couldn't help but think that the worshiping of "Ford" reminded me of something else. When I finally realized that "Ford" was very similar to Lord a lot of things started to go through my mind.

Henry Ford and his T model was huge, in its contribution to transportation and technology. So i assume that Henry Ford was a big contributor to the Brave New World. I don't know too much about Ford, but I'm positive that he came up with something called mass production. When talking about the creation of babies in Brave New World, they talk about the creation of thousands and thousands of identical twins. That would seem to me like mass production. So I came up with the conclusion that this society is not really worshipping a person, but they are instead in a world where technology is worshipped. Tell me what you think about this.

6 comments:

Miss Trisha said...

Yes, I do believe the "Ford" they refer to in the book is in fact Henry Ford. If I remember correctly, the beginning of the new "era" of Brave New World was during the year that Ford's T-model was released. I have to look up my facts again. I'll get back to you once I do.

--Trisha Janelle

Anonymous said...

Yeah I thought so too. I couldn't find anyone to realte "Ford" to and the only person that popped into my head was Henry Ford but I didn't see the connection with the "mass production" thing. It also amazes me that the idea of religion has almost been completely wiped out which would be a very difficult task to perform today. In the story it has been replaced by technology.

Andy Khong said...

I agree in that technology seems worshiped, and I never really thought of the mass production of babies can be compared to the mass production of cars. It makes sense, though. Ford also achieved success with the assembly line technique of manufacturing which brought the mass production and was seen in the book. I have a feeling that I'm just repeating myself so I'll just stop here, but I totally agree with your statements.

AFletcher said...

Mass production was initially looked up with suspicion -- how could a single person making things by hand compete with an assembly line?

It's similar to the way people feel about the Big Box stores and Starbucks and the big chain book stores -- smaller businesses cannot compete against them, and close their doors.

Huxley's comment on Ford's methods speaks to the dehumanization process of the brave new world.

Michelle Davis said...

I agree with you. Its so strange how religion just seems to be completely gone, and how Ford has taken its place. Their technology is just so amazingly advanced that I'm just assuming that they feel they don't need God or anyone else to look up to. Technology is what they have and its what they know. They built it and created it, so I'm guessing they think that they are their own higher power.

Alyssa said...

Ha, I also believed that the "Ford" was referred to Henry Ford because of the mass production reason. A mass production of people and a mass producation of automobiles, right?
And I associated "Ford" with "Lord"
basically because in the book they would say "Oh Ford" and such.
So Ford was their Lord