Lately, it seems as though I have only been blogging about Huxley's Brave New World, and in an effort to correct this imbalance, I have decided to make today's blog about Postman and his book on public discourse.
While I do admit, some concepts in Amusing Ourselves to Death are a bit hard to grasp, one major point which I do understand is the fact that television is made to attract the attention of the audience. Postman repeatedly proves this by pointing out how news segments and religious programs focus on gaining viewers and popularity. One way or another, all types of television try to draw attention (either by reporting on entertaining topics or hiring charismatic preachers). While the subject was stuck on my mind, I began to see the point of this logic while I was watching TV ( ironic, I know). I saw a commercial advertising the History channel's new show "Jurassic Fight Club" and I thought "That is barely history!" The real reason the History channel advertises shows about prehistoric reptilian showdowns is because they are trying to attract the viewers attention, just like any other show on television attempts to do.
Entertainment may not seem like such a bad goal to aim for, but I can think of a few instances where aiming for ratings has made shows silly (the simple life, Living Lohan, etc). If we just stopped to think about what we are watching, maybe we wouldn't actually watch it.
Maybe that's just me being odd, but please comment. It's always nice to have different opinions and input.
Vectorbeam Doom
1 hour ago
2 comments:
I agree that entertainment today are trying to make up the silliest shows just for ratings.
But what's irritating is that people actually watch them. Who seriously wants to watch Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie do whatever they do? They've no talent, whatsoever! The one time I actually watched that show, I felt sorry for the family housing them!
I saw a billboard for "Jurassic Fight Club" and I thought it looked interesting, but because I love dinosaurs.But then seeing as it was on the History channel, it seemed odd. I would have expected this show to be on Animal Planet. But that's besides the point...
What also irritates me is that shows that are deemed "low rated" get canceled. And sometimes, those shows are just the BEST! Personally, I wished that Invader ZIM was never canceled...I had read some of the scripts for the unmade future episodes and they were just genius!
I enjoy cartoons, because cartoons are MEANT to be silly (and I like that). But when real-life shows try to get silly, then I think it's just stupid. Many instances would be in Disney Channel sitcoms. Ugh! Disney Channel sitcoms are not worthy enough to labeled DISNEY. I always say that Walt Disney would be disappointed if he was still alive.
Sorry, I just need to vent out some anger...
I think we have to ask ourselves: "What kind of people watch those shows?"
Take The Simple Life, for example. Who watches it? Then go up to them and asked them: "Why do you watch it?"
I think that's the only way to really get a clear answer as to whether or not we think about what we watch or not...
I ask myself that all the time.
"Why do I watch Disney movies?"
Because they remind me of my childhood, and that brings back awesome memories!
"Why do I watch Hell's Kitchen?"
Because I like to see how they make their food. And since I don't have the Food Channel, I watch this. I don't even stick around to see who gets eliminated. I see the food and I go into the kitchen to try it out.
"Why do I watch House M.D.?"
Because of the medical mysteries!
"Why DON'T I watch The Simple Life?"
Well, why should I? Two Hollywood blonds messing up everything they touch? I say all that does is establish stereotypes!
TV networks make a lot of their money from the ads/commercials. TV shows that draw a large audience create more exposure for the companies paying for those ads which leads to more companies wanting to advertise on that channel at higher prices. It all comes down to the networks wanting to make more money.Or at least this is my understanding of it.
Post a Comment