Hey summer bloggers...there's plenty of us here, so let's start a conversation.
Here's a little YouTube video to watch -- notice the quotation by Marshall McLuhan that opens the sequence. You'll learn a little about him early in Postman. Anyway, watch the video, and then click on COMMENT and respond.
Does this video reflect the reality for high school students, or is it just these college students who experience life/media/time in this way? Who are the "insiders" and who are the "outsiders" of this technological culture -- (think about people you know who are tech-saavy, and those who are not. Do you help your mom or grandma with her Tivo/ email/ voicemail/ text messaging?)
Think back: when did you become aware of technology? What video games did you play as a child? What was the first cell phone you remember using like?
What changes should be made in education to capitalize upon the specific skills and interests of contemporary, tech-native students?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
29 comments:
This video represents mostly the college student, with thier laptops allowed in class rooms and what not. High school students are babied more; they live at home with parents who watch over them making sure they do their homework. However, parents now a days seem to have less time for their children or when they are tired and need a rest they say "Go watch some tv". Television is now the new baby sitter. As is the internet. I was amazed that my five year old cousin knew what youtube was and the fact that he knew how to turn on the computer and get to the actual site by himself blew me away.
My grandmother texts me using the silliest abbriviations and I laugh, showing them to my mom and everytime my mom just says "You're lucky she can text", which is true. Most 65 year olds today, I am sure, do not text or own an up to date cell phone.
I remember my first cell phone, I was so happy when I got it. A hand me down flip phone, antennae and all. Once all my contacts were put in, I was atticted to texting. Email was never a big thing for me because I was never allowed to use have one, but this year aim and texting have been my means of commutincating with my fellow classmates.
In regards to the last question Ms. Flecther posted, I am afraid i do not quite fully understand the question. Is it asking about the skills the class is teaching or does it mean what changes should be made to take advantage of the skills students already have with technology?
Hmm, this was definitely an interesting video. And I actually have thought about the time I would spend later in life when I attend college. My visions of my life in college include overwhelming hours I would use to study, work, and then enjoy my hobbies and other activities on the side.
I think it does show reality for high-schoolers. You pay to attend your classes, where you're supposed to learn, when all that is really needed is a laptop and internet access. And it's easy to learn and teach. I've taught my dad how to get onto the internet and look up his e-mails. I think more people should learn to use technology. Taking on-line courses instead of actually physically being in a classroom would save time and money.
In my AP World History class, I learned that the civilization with the best technology always conquers over those that are not as advanced. This still applies in modern era. But not just get the technology but of course also learn to use it properly.
Ha. I remember when I was first introduced to technology. My Sega! I don't really remember much about it since I played it when I was really young. I just remember playing a Lion King video game on it. But I do remember my Playstation 1. I got it as a birthday present and as soon as I saw what was under the wrapping paper, I immediately hooked it up to the tv and started playing more video games. I LOVE video games, back then and still now. The first video game that I remember loving was the Spyro the Dragon game. It was fun then and fun now, since I still play it to this day. I became very tech-savvy at a young age. I knew how to use a VCR before I was 6.
Which brings me to my conclusion. I think more technology should be included in school, especially computers, and introduced to children when they're younger. Then, they would have all spent the first, most important year of their developing lives getting used to technology and mastering it.
After this, though it may be a fictitious idea, school wouldn't be needed. I would like to reference a movie, but I'm not sure if it's the correct movi. But I'll take a guess at it. The movie, A.I. Artificial Intelligence. I think it was in this movie where school consisted of the child sitting in front of a large tv/computer and it would just transfer information into the child in a few minutes and the child would have learned a day's worth of information in that small amount of time (or something like that. I haven't seen the movie in a long time, but I think you know what I'm getting at). This is what I think awaits us in the future of education and technology.
Well, you may think that idea is too creative/futuristic/insane/(insert any other word here), but this is actually what I think. Haha, sorry, but I prefer fiction over non-fiction. :D
-Louie Ramos
I believe that technology has a positive and a negative side. Using a laptop in college can be a distraction to the college students. In high school, these circumstances might not be seen in school but I think that it can definitely be seen at home. Personally, I spend lots of time in front of the computer, probably more than an average person would. I guess it would be hard to concentrate on studies when fun technologies are all around me.
Computers and televisions are really a big problem of families today. Instead of families spending time talking and discussing problems with one another, some would rather watch TV or surf the internet.Kids lose their ability to interact with peers as they prefer to play in solitude. They create virtual friends instead of human connections. These technologies affect people physically as well. The only exercise we get is exercise for our fingers when typing or changing the channel. I watched on the TV once that studies show that children who are over exposed to video games have higher tendencies to develop tics and worse, seizures.
At the positive side, however, technologies make our lives easier. We are able to do a lot of stuff in half the time.Technology makes it possible for people from opposite sides of the globe to communicate. It helps families who are physically apart to connect. This holds true with my own family. My father and brother are both in Manila but we are able to talk to them in a daily basis using the telephone or the internet using the webcam, as if they never left the US.Video games and other technologies serve as entertainment for bored people. It likewise help the younger generation develop skills and sharpen their minds. I appreciate technology a lot but I think that everyone at some point has to learn to balance their time between virtual games and the real world.
I remember the time when I loved playing my Playstation. I'd spend most of my weekends playing it with my brother. Afterwards, my first computer. Of course I know how to use the computer especially since we were taught how to use them in school. My parents, however, don't know much about it. My brother and I have to teach my dad just to open the Internet Explorer and go to Yahoo Mail to open his e-mails.This goes to show that the new generation are better versed with these gadgets.
In my opinion, I think that in the future, students would be going to school in less time that we do now. They would be learning faster due to the technological advances that might occur in the future. It would be interesting to see that but I think that life spent with people are better than life spent with technology.Overall, these new inventions have upsides and downsides. If we are able to use them to make our lives better, then we will prove that these things were developed for a good purpose.
The video leans towards college students who are obviously more interested in social activities than work. It is unfair to say that our generation really does suffer from this, the truth of the matter is that even though we are technologically gifted, we have started to depend more on the technology than ourselves, and it is our own fault. No one forces us to spend two hours a day on the phone, or listen to music for over two hours.
To add on the "TV the new babysitter" comment, WE have made it that way, and we can easily reverse it. If parents were to teach their children to spend more time studying, reading, and learning than watching television we would be far better off. Is television bad? No. Too much of it is bad. I obviously became aware of technology when I began to enojoy television.
Eventually, television becomes a crutch for life issues when we're too depending on it. And so can the internet. Or Videogames.
If we were to turn off the television and radio every once in a while and stop letting the media feed us superficial, unrelevant messages we would be better off. How about going to class and using your laptop to... *GASP*... take notes?!
Education has never had a problem with teaching the way it is now, so why bother to change. I'd rather be sitting in a classroom learning, living, speaking, growing, and experiencing than behind a computer screen reading until my eyes get sore, while Instant Messaging my whole life.
My point is vague, I don't have a clear head at the moment, but hopefully I was able to get some of my point across.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24612730/
(A fine example of what I mean, when kids are put to study, and NOT waste away at nothing)
Sergio, aren't kids like Moshe Kai Cavalin are a distinct minority? He's newsworthy only because he's outside of the mainstream.
Aha! Yes, he IS in the distinct minority.
But, I failed to mention that in the video interview he claims to not waste time on videogames... which was going to be used for my "kids shouldn't waste their time play games all day" argument.
ahhh, I need to wake up.
This video doesn't really relate to high school students because we're not permitted to use modern technology during class, except for calculators. Modern technology would distract us from learning, most high school students aren't mature enough to handle the right to use technology that connects us to the outside world. High school can feel like a prison that forces you to learn sometimes.
The generations that weren't introduced to modern technology at an early time of their life probably had a hard time learning, or not learned at all, the new technological culture because they didn't spend a lot of time around it. Unlike our generation technology influences almost every aspect of our lives, so we can learn it much easier.
Technology was all around me when i was young, but i didn't know what it was called until later. I remember playing duck hunt on my Super Nintendo and people having those big fat cell phones with antennas. Technology is always improving so we need to improve our learning at the same time. Now I have to help my mom and grandma turn on the television and call people, they're immigrants so it's hard for them to use modern technology.
In order for students to become more knowledgeable of technology, school administrators and educators should increase the amount of technology we use during our learning process. Technology can be used to explain things that are very difficult demonstrate. Many educators think that in the future every student will have a their own laptop. In order for that to happen we need to know how to use technology. Technology is here to make our lives better, while there is a never ending problem in the world. I hope what I wrote relates to the subject. Oh well. :)
Louie, I remember the sega genesis. I used to play Mortal Combat, Bomberman and all those old games on it. Good times, good times.
Your grandma is cool Danielle. My grandma doesn't even know how to use the telephone, and my mom doesn't know how to use the satellite. She sucks at driving too, it's so funny because people glare at her when she drives.
Video games and television do become addicting s. platero.
Yep, games and television get addicting. Although, it might have sounded as though I said NEVER to use them.
Moderation is, of course here, key.
Even studying needs moderation.
Too much of anything is bad, even water [over hydration]. As you can see, different things need different moderations though.
P.S. Sega Genesis was also an important factor in my life many years ago... :)
sorry that I implied you were addicted to video games, I was skimming
oh...
you implied I WAS?
I thought you were agreeing. Ha ha ha.
Well then, that settles that...
The video doesn't reflect to some high schools since technology except calculators are allowed. Some people don't bring very advanced techs like laptops and their game systems when they can because they are afraid it might get stolen. In college, where many students own their own laptop, they aren't very worried about it getting stolen.
Technology has some good and some bad. Technology is addicting so if we were allowed to bring the techs, we would be so distracted and will not be learning. But technology in the future is most likely going to be our teachers and we won't be needing to go to class. There are online courses in college so u don't need to be in class and not interact with classmates. The advance technology helps us connect with people in far off places and make new or meet old friends again.
My mom doesn't know how to use her cellphone except for the basics like calling and the looking in the contact list. She asks me to put phone numbers in her cellphone. my mom doesn't let me or my brother get electronics much so me and my brother don't own many things our friends own. Only in my freshmen year did our household get internet and satellite. And since we got it, i have been on the computer chatting, reading and making a bunch of new friends and some old ones too. My little brother finally got a game system so he has been playing it a lot except he only has games. My brother watches television a lot of shows that show the latest new gadgets.
I believe that this only applies to the college students of America. This would only apply to high school students if we were allowed to have our laptops at school or allowed to be on our cell phones. Unfortunately, the education we are receiving is free; therefore we are practically required to at least give the impression we are paying attention. I also think that the older generations are the “outsiders” and the current generation is the sole “insider”. When I say "current" generation, I mean the generation that has grown up with this technology availabe. The reason is simply that as the current generation, we practically grew up with all these gadgets and “doo-dads” around us. My mom and uncle are a rare exception to this. I am constantly coming to them asking how to do things on my cell phone or on the internet.
I first actually became aware of technology when I was 13 or 14. Things such as video games and computers were just second nature to me, so I somewhat didn’t really think much of them. The first videogames I ever remember playing were all Mario Brothers on my grandmother’s Super Nintendo.
I got my first cell phone on Christmas three to four years ago. It was a hand-me-down flip phone from my aunt. It was old looking and had no color in the screen, simply black and white like old televisions.
My suggestion to Ms. Fletcher’s question is simply to turn the high school learning environment into a more college-like one. To address Victoria’s statement that people aren’t responsible enough to use this technology for the right things, just make sure that this opportunity is only available to the right students.
I use technology very often, but I do not let it control my life.
I believe that too much technology may be a bad influence in the classroom. Technology that supplements our knowledge would be beneficial, but technology should not be an integral part in the classroom.
I was looking up on wikiquote for something that relates to this topic. I thought, "We shape our tools and thereafter our tools shape us," by Marshall McLuhan was a good quote. This relates to the video because the technology we created (technology, cell phones, television) is now controlling our lives. We are mere servants to the will of technology.
In my opinion, most students of today only want new technology in the classroom because they are being lazy. One does not need the claculator to do simple mathematics (like multiplying, adding, subtracting, and dividing), but students still use it. They do not want to spend extra time on a problem actually solving it by hand (I am included on this list).
I don't think that classrooms should adapt to meet the laziness of tech-native students because what will these students do when the technology fails them?
Advancements in technology are progressing very fast which excludes older generations from the modern trends in technology.
In response to Jacob Bagwell's post I kind of have a problem when you said "Unfortunately, the education we are receiving is free; therefore we are practically required to at least give the impression we are paying attention."
How is it unfortunate that we are receiving a free education?
Also when you said only giving technology to the "right" students. Who decides which are the right students? Isn't that elitist?
in resonse to mtt turner's comments, I'm sorry, I worded that sentence wrong. I meant to say that because our education is free, the teachers care that we are learning as well as paying attention. In response to the choosing of students, maybe the students should picked by their gpa, classes, or just charge for it.It isn't meant to be a elitist system, but if thats what it takes, why not?
I think that this video is aimed more towards college students, but many high schoolers can also relate. For example, I know that many of us students do spend much more time on the internet or watching TV than reading. This in result, does affect the hours of sleep that we get. It is different also since we are not allowed to use certain technology, such as laptops, at school. The closest we have to it is graphing calculators.
The outsiders of this technological culture are mainly those that are not able to use this technology. The US is a country that is able use this technology, though many either don't have the money or the knowledge to use it. I also think that the outsiders could be those who did not grow up with this technology. When you think about it, much of the younger population in America does have a knowledge in technology because they grew up around it. Yet, many other countries don't even have this technology available. Many countries that are considered to still be developing do not have the public means to use computers or have TVs. The insiders are those that are able to reach these technologies and afford them. They are also those who are able to understand how to use them.
I find myself helping my parents and relatives with various things on the computer or with cellphones, but the funny thing is that I am acually very terrible with technology. I still don't text, don't have a Tivo, and do not understand why my computer does certain things. Compared to my peers, I am so far behind in understanding technology, but I have much more knowledge than my family.
I can not exactly pin point the time when I was aware of this technology. I think when you grow up in a family that is able to use this technology (even if they don't completely understand it), you just grow up knowing its there.
As a child, I did play a lot of video games. I had a Game Boy Advance, and eventually a Game Cube, PS2, Game Boy SP, and a Nitendo DS. My cousins first introduced me to the world of video games with Contra and the Super Smash Brothers on the original Nintendo.
I got my first cell phone in 6th grade. It was very standard, one of those that flip. It wasn't anything spectacular, which I didn't really mind because I never really used it and I still don't use my cell phone very often today.
To make education more technology-friendly, I think introducing an increase in the use of it at school would be the basic change. Making schools more like that of colleges that allow the use of computers during lectures in class would probably be most obvious. If schools want to capitalize on the skills of students who have an understanding of technology, various classes should be offered expanding the knowledge students have on technology. Many schools have already taken this step by offering classes such as AP Computer Science. Yet, I can see how a change in education, favoring technology, may result. This may force students to become more familar with technology than they may want. This will in turn force students to become more dependent on technology as well.
I see technology as both positive and negative. It creates a certain type of competetion that can be harmful. Look at the Cold War and the atomic bomb. It can also be positive because it allows communication and may help fix issues, including environmental issues. But, once the world becomes too dependent on technology, I think that can only bring harm.
I definitely agree that technology can be both a good and bad influence on the classroom.
It is, however, making us lazy. We no longer write with a pen and paper but with a computer program. The use of a computer program eliminates many things such as a rough draft. Because one can make mistakes, fix it without a mess, and then print a final copy, a rough copy is not made. This encourages spontaneous thinking rather than a well-thought out plan. Therefore, a rough copy is much better to have, even though most people don’t make a rough copy because they are too lazy. This lethargy is due to the advanced technology of computers.
Television is an example of technology that stops us from using our mind. It takes the place of newspapers, and this stops us from reading (the newspapers), which is very stimulating to the mind. Furthermore, as previously mentioned, calculators are in more use than ever. Either people just cannot do simple arithmetic problems in their head, or they are just lazy. People take much longer to add in their head than they really should. This is because they depend on calculators so much.
Technology has come a long way and contributed a lot to the comfort of one’s life. However, it has comforted society so much that society is starting to depend on it too much. This dependency shows how society has allowed technology to replace the use of one’s mind. Children, who were conditioned to use technology, grew up. These children, who are adults now, don’t know how to function without technology since it supersedes their ability to think.
Technology is definitely useful; it has helped us with so much (new methods of treatment, searching for information faster on the internet…). We just need to make sure that it doesn't control our lives or replace our ability to think.
i completely agree when caroline said " we just need to make sure that it doesn't control our lives or replace our ability to think."
anyway, back to the questions that have been posed about this video.
this video is closer to what college students experience than to high school students. college students are allowed to bring their laptops to class and it is up to them how they spend their time in class. in high school, however, students get in trouble for texting in class, sleeping in class, and so on. the environment is different.
the "insiders" are the ones who are technology savvy. some can do anything on a computer, phone, PDA, or are masters of gaming systems. the "outsiders" are the ones who can barely operate a basic cell phone. my mother would be an "outsider." i have to add people to her contact list and other stuff like that. my dad, however, would be on the "insiders" list. he manages an entire network at the college at which he works. he is very technology savvy (sometimes i have to go to him for help with the computer and im on the computer almost everyday).
i first started using the computer when i was about four. i was not really into the video games but i did play those educational computer games such as "jumpstart" whenever boredom struck. my first cell phone is the one i currently use. its about three years old now and is considered by some of my friends "old school." it amazing how only three years, a rather small amount in my opinion, can make such a difference in what is considered "old school" and "in" technology.
there should be some changes in education. schools should use this technology to their advantage. the internet offers students unlimited access to information. its easier for students to do research on people, places, etc. and therefore there are no excuses such as, "i couldn't find any information." there is something about nearly every topic available on the internet. schools should not, however, offer a complete schedule of online classes. they're convienient, but they don't offer opportunities to ask questions about the subject. for example, there is no way to have a class such as philosophy online. online classes limit peer interaction. this can limit a person's social skills which makes a less well-rounded person. people should know how to use technology; they should not rely on it.
You know, when I wrote those questions, I wasn't thinking: "Can high school students use lap tops in class?" because obviously, I work at Mayfair, and I know the drill.
What I meant was the CHASM (it seems to me that it's a chasm. maybe it's just a ditch) between the plugged in/the unplugged in -- the expectations of the education establishment and the reality faced by young people. You know that last part, where the girl holds up a scantron and says something like, "this isn't going to prepare me to deal with this-->" and the arrows are pointing to all of the statements made by the students.
I never meant for you to make a point by point comparison: college students buy hundred dollar textbooks/we do not; college students use laptops in class/we do not; that kind of thinking is way too literal.
I want you to consider the world you are about the inherit. Think of the difference between the technology when you were kids and now. Look how fast things are changing.
I am your English teacher. I don't have to talk about technology at all. If I never mentioned technology beyond requiring you to word process your essays, nobody would accuse me of malpractice, right?
But what I am trying to get at is ACCESS to ideas, the power and ability to EXPRESS and PARTICIPATE in a wider conversation...how can that happen offline? Can it even happen offline anymore?
i believe this video shows the reality for high school students. some of us will commit themselves to working hard so they can succeed, while others will take advantage of what they have and not be grateful. many students question why we have to learn the things we learn in school. i think it's very naive of them to say that. no matter what we think, everything we learn is just as significantly important as the next thing. knowledge brings in the money. unless you haven't noticed, many shows give you money for knowing a variety of subjects. or are you too busy watching the high school musical marathon?(ew)
having laptops in the classroom can be served as both a distraction and a helpful tool. i would love to use my laptop to take notes because i can't really write all that fast or nice. plus, i have no short term memory so i'll forget what i was supposed to write and what i was writing. but with that advantage, i'd be tempted to do something nonproductive online.
i believe most of us can agree that technology is a huge influence in our society today. like most things, technology has its pros and cons. sure it helps make things easier to do like calculate a simple math problem but is also creates the thought that because we have this technology, it is not as important to learn how to multiply or add in your head. i, myself, am guilty at this. technology has made life easier for us that it may take over our lives in the near future.
but even if we do understand this idea, it's probably not going to stop us from reaching for the calculator to solve a problem or for the cell phone to text your friend. we know the problem, but what are we going to do about it?
i remember in second grade i installed that slow dial-up internet to my huge desktop computer. i was so excited. i even started aim that year. hmm... well maybe not second grade but sometime in elementary.
anyway, i got my first cell phone in 7th grade which was this big verizon phone that had a tiny screen in black and white and the silly antennae. i was happy because i felt i was so cool with my cell. but looking back, it seems so insignificant now because many people have cell phones and now it's become smaller and faster.
my mom is very, VERY computer deficient. which is very ironic because she uses the computer nearly everyday for work. well, maybe ironic is the wrong term because she knows how to use word processing and excell. but anything else and i have to go through it step by step with her. not that i mind, sometimes, but you'd think that older people would understand it better but i guess it's because we grew up with it while most parents didn't.
i played pac man!! :) i was a huge gamer when i was little. i still am today. you always see those commercial when the kids are just sitting on their couches or the floor and looking brain dead while playing video games or watching tv. technology has made violence into fun again. i am guilty at this statement, too. i believe game manufactuers are somewhat implying that war and violence is fine. these games show kids that killing can be fun because you're the "good guy" trying to get rid of the "bad guy". this may come out sounding a little bias but these distractions are causing people not to think about what's happening around them and just conform because what is happening around them is not effecting them directly.
as grateful as i am to technology, i feel that we are going too far. are we not content with what we have that we continuously upgrade to have better and faster? is the fact that we have a phone or computer not enough that we have to create cell phones and laptops? i'm not saying that upgrading is bad but sometimes you just have to stop and think. we have nearly everything while other people have nearly nothing. instead of trying to improve what we already have, shouldn't we use our knowledge to help others improve what they don't have? are we so selfish that we have to keep putting down others by showing them that we have the bigger toy? if we have this knowledge, why aren't we using it to help others instead of ourselves?
just a thought. ^^v
i believe this video is saying that we use up technology WAYY to much, and i believe it. i bet if we took a survey on how many hours kids spend using technology in one day more than half would say more than 5 hours. i can admit, using technology is somewhat addicting and im not afraid to admit it. technology has overrun our lives and that is not good at all. a lot of kids grades are slipping because they are on the computer, watching tv, or even playing video games instead of either studying or doing their homework. i sometimes play video games, watch tv, or even surf the web instead of doing my homework and it is hard to stop if you are watching something interesting or playing a good, intense game. i believe technology has helped us, but then again it has become a control of some peoples lives.
-Alex Martin
I think that this video reflects the reality for high school students when I saw a similarity between what the signs said and what high school students actually do everyday. The "insiders" of this technological culture would be kids our age or even WAY younger than that like 5 year olds. The "outsiders" of this technological culture would be some parents who don't know how to use modern technology like the computer or their cellphones. My grandma, for instance, needs help using her cellphone and that gives the impression that modern technology is advancing so rapidly that old people can't keep up with the speedy progress.
I became aware of technology at a very young age; when I was only three years old. My parents would sit me in front of the tv and make me watch while they did their own work instead of watching me all of the time. The video games I played as a child were the really old Mario games. I used to play video games nonstop and my sisters do the same thing I did and they can't stop no matter what. The first cellphone I used was my dad's cellphone. I can't remember much but I did have fun using it because I used it to play games on it and then my dad wouldn't let me use it after that.
In my opinion, I think that teachers should have class a lot more in the computer lab to make learning easier because then students who are good on the computer can make learning the subject easier for themselves. Some technological changes in education would probably make learning fun and easier for all students.
I think this video reflects the reality for high school students because most of our lives are involved around technology. Like television, computer...etc The
"insiders" of this technological culture are teens and adults. The "outsiders" of this technological culture are the older generation who were raised up with little or no technology. Since my grandma was raised up in a society with few technology, she is not really keeping up with the modern technology. I usually help my grandma use her phone. This shows that technology is rapidly improving in which the older generation is not catching up.
Technology has improved since i was a kid. For instance,I became aware of technology at age five. Now my little brother has been aware of technology at a younger age than me. I used to love listening to music on the radio, but now I have my own ipod. Also, I started playing video games at a late age. The first video game that I had was Super Smash Bros.
I remember having my first cellphone in the seventh grade.I had the old version of Nokia.I didn't really like how it looked, but I was happy that I had a cellphone.
In my opinion,I think teachers should allow laptops to be used during class. This will help student make neater notes on their laptop and help them search for information that is related to the class subject. Also, laptops or computers helps students learn faster and easier.
I am not sure if I have correctly understood Ms.Fletchers last question.=)
Post a Comment