Saturday, June 21, 2008

Where Do Looks Come In Anyways?

In the beginning of Chapter one in Amusing Ourselves to Death, it tells of politicians' outer appearance, saying that losing twenty pounds and having a full head of hair are pros of an election, although it says that the constitution doesn't mention outer appearance. After saying that, it continues, "It would appear that fat people are now effectively excluded from running for high political office"(Postman, 4). It then says that we've reached the point where looks replaced the ideology as the field of expertise, which a politician must have "competent control".

I haven't really noticed that point before, but then again, I was never big in politics. However, now that I think of it, that point sort of makes sense. How come people decide things based on looks and not the point of one's mind?How come when someone has a good point or suggestion, they're turned down because he isn't as good-looking as his competitor, whose idea isn't that great?Where do looks come in, anyways?
Alyssa Kocon

5 comments:

Louie Ramos said...

Hello, Alyssa :D
I think the expression "Don't judge a book by its cover." could possibly be used in this case. I mean, even though the expression says not to, people still do. I know that if a book has an AWESOME cover, I probably would check it out first before looking at a book with a dull, boring cover. Yet, I have been mislead multiple times by book covers.

Same as people. Even though people know that what matters is on the inside, people STILL do judge others by their "covers". I think it's because we're attracted to those that are attractive. Like a bug to a light-bulb. It may not always be best for us, yet we still try to get close to that light bulb.

Another example (other than the book cover one) would be ads in a magazine or newspaper. The bright colors, large text and great deals on one ad would definitely distract you from all the other ads surrounding it. Many don't like plain and boring. People like pizazz! And that's the way to get their attention.

BUT! I don't think pizazz just comes from appearances. Personality also comes into play. If your speech voice is strong and full of personality it will certainly bring more attention.

-LOUIE RAMOS

Unknown said...

Oh, yes, I definitely agree with Postman. Outer appearance (although, they may not completely change the outcome of an election) is something that appeals to people in general. Are you more likely to pick out a magazine with a more appealing person on the cover, or listen to a band with a better looking frontman? Sometimes, quality ideals beats looks, but more often than not we are tempted to go with the more attractive option.

This, my friends, is a fault of our superficial human nature that we must continue to overcome. Looks, although we may not always want to admit it, often times motivates our choices. Even in Politics.

Rachel Fisher said...

Images are the main source of knowledge that our society thrives on. Just like Postman said when you think of someone, or something, "what will come to your mind is and image... Of words almost nothing will come to mind" (61). That is so true, hardly ever can we even remeber something unless we see a picture. The phrase "Don't judge a book by it's cover" really isn't embraced by many people these days. I guess thats why Postman is writing his book: to tell people to start paying more attention to knowledge than image.
-Rachel Fisher

Aroutt said...

I definitely agree with all the other comments, but i happen to have a few more which might give some answers too? I have some theories.

Like Louie said, people are attracted to those that are attractive. I believe human sexuality is a part of it. I know that sounds pretty silly, because none of us want to think of lets say...the president that way. But attraction derives from sexuality right? I'm not sure if it is human nature, but if people are attracted to someone better looking, that is what they desire. As a role model, leader, or even as themselves. So I believe people tend to sway towards their attraction. Maybe that is the most trusting opinion a person can have about something. It just might be easier to follow the attraction instincts than ponder which traits would make which leader better fit for their job.

blessing odudu said...

I totally agree with everything you all said I,ve started the book by Postman too and when i came across this passage, i couldn't help but ask myself the same question. What do looks have to do with anything? Now I know the answer, everything. According to Postman, "The grossness of a three-hundred-pound image, even a talking one, would easily overwhelm any logical or spiritual subtleties conveyed by the speech" (7)

You'd be surprised how much this statement relates to our world today. You would be thinking, what does this person's image has to do with their speech? Why can't people forget about what he or she looks like and just listen to what they have to say? It really doesn't work like that, does it? People judge others by their mere appearance. It's the kind of world we live in today and there's not much we can do about it. We have to look beyond the surface (that's easier said than done). Looks are everything but they can be very deceiving.