Monday, June 23, 2008

Read the books

That's all.

It's impossible to discuss things unless you've done the reading; we're not here to make stuff up and offer hypothetical examples.

If you haven't purchased the books yet and want to get started, read Orwell, and take his good advice.

I don't want to make you paranoid, but I do notice your errors. I can't help it -- I'm well educated, and a good reader. You are entering a college class, so step it up. Online culture accepts a certain amount of error, which makes the whole thing more democratic, right? Everyone can have a voice, even if they cannot string together a clear, logical sentence. But that's not the case here. You're a group of students who are interested in doing college level work while still in high school.

When I make a spelling error, the word is underscored with a little red squiggly line. So take note of that. Of course, some words may be spelled correctly, but they are just the wrong words. Then it's up to you.

I don't HAVE to give you credit for a posting if it's pure, unadulterated nonsense or blather. We don't want visual noise; we want thoughtful conversation between people who have read the books and are starting to think about the ideas being presented there. Eventually, you should be able to make a connection between the video I posted, Huxley, Orwell and Postman.

1 comment:

Christina Galvan said...

I have my first provacative paragraph from Brave New World, but I don't know how to write 500 words about it. So far I have 146 words. Does anyone have any advice for me?