
I just read/re-read through the comments made about the "You're here: let's talk -- watch this video" post (June 20)...25 comments, by far the most active thread we've seen so far. And I had to make a comment and pose a new question. So I'm coming out here to the surface, and on "top of the blog" where you're likely to see me, and to invite you to dig back into that post.
Rhetoric: the effective use of language.
I would like to assert that the posted video makes an argument. What is that argument? How is it made? Is it credible? Why? Does the video "ring true" for you?
Here's a little preview of the work we'll do: What is the SUBJECT of this video? Why was this video made? What inspired it? What is it responding to? Who is the assumed audience? Why is it important, or is it important? Who is the SPEAKER -- who is behind the video? What resources of language (if any) do the students use to make their points?
SOAPSTONE: Subject/Occasion/Audience/Purpose/Speaker/tone=tools you need to analyze an argument.
Also, this is a temporary farewell; you kids have got this thing going, and as you can see, I can talk too much if I'm not careful. I will still be poking around and reading, but I'm not going to post for the next month or so unless someone directly asks me to answer something on the blog. Or if something big happens in the news. Or if something is said that is so provocative that my hair catches on fire. Or if things go awry. Other than that -- I'm outta here! Lurking, not writing. Keep blogging -- keep each other honest, and help each other out. If somebody is confused, jump in there. We're all learning to swim, and we're all lifeguards, all at the same time.
The only thing I might have to stay involved in is the notebook search. How come nobody has answered my question? What kind of success/failure are you experiencing with locating the right notebook??
6 comments:
I have been having major failure finding a notebook. I've checked Office Max, Staples, CVS, Michaels, the Cerritos College student store, and a teacher supply store called CM School Supply, and I still haven't found a notebook. I plan on trying Walgreens, Rite Aide, and Office Depot. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
I found mine at CVS on South and Palo Verde last Saturday
NOTEBOOK SUCCESS!
My mom found notebooks at Stater Bros. on Lakewood and Artesia.
I found mine at the South and Palo Verde CVS as well. There were only three left yesterday, so I doubt they will last long.
I found my journal at Office Max or (Depot), I'm not sure what it is. It's the one across the Lakewood Mall. I'm not sure how the notebook is supposed to be binded. Mine is just binded like a textbook (just to give a visual aid), but I'm not sure if it is supposed to be a spiral notebook. Is it?
I found mine at Rite Aid. I bought two just in case I messed up on the first one. It appears people are having more success at pharmicies than big office and school supplies stores.
Post a Comment